Bringing storage up to temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splitmonster

Sep 29, 2013
Tolland. Ct
So, my new vigas 40 burns great! I can light it with ease (mostly due to making sure my wood is dry thanks to every one here as i started drying it two years ago) and it will come up to temp with no problem. I finally got all the air out and i have brought the storage tank up about 175. But thats about as high as i can get it. The boiler is idling right now at 189 and the storage isnt climbing. Ive plumbed it as close to the schematics that i got from henfruit. Could my loading circulator pump be to small for the job? Its a Taco 0015 three speed

Pressurized or non pressurized storage? And how well insulated is your tank? If you have non-pressurized storage I think 175 may be all you're going to get. But you should be able to push pressurized storage to the max. With enough time it will equal your boiler output temp, +/-, assuming it's got some decent insulation.

Reactions: woodsmaster
The storage is a 500 gallon propane. No insulation yet as i just got it running. I wanted to test it out, but was planning the insulation for todays project, as well as cleaning up from the boiler install

Wow, where do you have that tank? Wherever you have it must be toasty warm right now! Get some insulation on it and try again. You might be surprised at how well steel tanks act as radiators in an uninsulated state.

I don't think it would be a too-small pump. Mine is a Grundfoss 15-58 3 speed running on low, it moves the heat no problem & gets my storage as high as I want to run it. Is your storage close to your boiler?

Reactions: woodsmaster
No, storage is in the basement about 30' away. 1 1/4 copper for fead and return. I think i need to insulate the return to the boiler first to insure the danfos stays open and flowing. I know i should insulate all the pipes but its so dam expensive and im trying to get it free with leftovers from work

How are you measuring tank temps? Is it possible that you might have an air pocket at the top of the tank, and that is pushing your reading down some? An 0015 is a LOT of pump for moving water around to storage. What speed are you on?

Your probably losing the heat in your uninsulated pipes and tanks. I wrapped some fiberglass insulation around my pipes with a little duct tape to hold it on for a cheap quick fix. someday I will replace it or wrap some plastic around it to make it look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.