bringing wood in...down stairs...rolled ankle, not for weak stomachs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maplewood said:
firehappy said:
Had the family all helping with bringing in the wood for the stove. The wife, 14yr boy, 11yr girl, 9yr girl, and my wife.
They help and makes it go quick, couple arm loads a piece and done. I was going down the stairs and thought i heard my 3yr old boy, so stop and look down the stairs and down the hallway, nothing there. I thought i was on the last stair and took a big step to go from the stairs and down the hallway. I was actually on the third step from last, so my right foot, heal hit the first step top and went toe down into the floor and wedged between floor and bull nose of the first step and stopped, i kept going forward and threw the wood and landed on hands and knees with foot still wedged. good thing wife and kids were upstairs and outside. said a few choice things. sorry for the pics, but had to post this up. don't make fun of my feet either. just a reminder to be safe. plus did not help that i was trying to some what show up my 14yr old boy, and haul more than him, his fault, him and his mouth. i am not an old man, pphhttt.

My one-and-only wife has been watching a show called "Sister Wives". You got two, do ya?
:)
well i had to mention my one and only one wife twice cause all the hard work she does. My one and only one wife is worth mentioning twice. typo, I should have caught this before submitted. ya know i done growed up in Minnesota.
p.s also thanks for all the replies. working on better system for getting firewood to basement. will not show up the boy......unless a few of his friends are around to rub it in. and foot is healing.

firefighterjake said:
Rest.
Ice.
Compress.
Elevate.

Get well soon.
Let me be just another one to tell you to "RICE" it!

Ooch! Now your son can show how tough he is when he carries the wood alone for a few weeks.

firehappy said:
Jags said:
OOWWww,ow,ow,ow,ow. That sucks. I do believe this is when I would pull out the bottle of Jack and have a good 4 fingers worth. It doesn't fix the foot, but it makes it so that you don't care.
yep and 4 IBP to go with it. 800 mgs. woke up the next morning with that uhh who am I, where am I.

Ok - suprise, suprise - I am NOT a Doctor. But um . . . alchol and Ibuprofin is a really bad combination for your stomach. If you don't already have acid reflux, that cocktail will give it to you :eek:hh:

Your wife PUSHED you down the stairs, didn't she? You can tell us.

CaddyUser said:
firehappy said:
CaddyUser said:
Ouch! Heal quick!

I too am a basement burner. I've been hauling one of those canvas carriers for a couple of years now, but decided to do the pipe-in-the-basement-window-chute thing this year. I've been concerned about doing the same thing....
i have thought about trying a chute through the basement window. do you have pics? for me it would be through to a bedroom and then haul from there. I am looking at the canvas carriers right now on amazon.

Sure, will do. I'll take pics of the bracket too that keeps the pipe from making a mess of the window frame. I have to put some wood in this weekend, so I'll do it then.

Cheers!

OK, here we go... The first photo is of the pipe through the window, and ready to go. It's a corrugated pipe that I picked up for free from one of the local contractors. It has a nick in the sealing surface at the upper end, so they were not able to use it.

The next is from the outside. Pretty self explanatory.

The third is the guide that I made to help me get the pipe through the window without causing damage to the window or frame. It's just a bit of flat bar bent into position, and then I used some threaded rod to be able to adjust the height. The rollers are just caster wheels that I picked up at the hardware store. A little more threaded rod and I'm off and going.

The whole thing cost me about $25, and it's been well worth it so far.

My next associated project will be a cart downstairs that the wood can go into, and then I can roll it over to the stack. I usually put about nine wheel barrow loads down at a time, so once this is all done, I should be saving (9 loads * 4 trips per load)-(9 loads * 1 trip per load) = 27 trips up and down the basement stairs. That works for me....

Attachments

• 2011-12-11 17.15.00 (800x600).jpg
    2011-12-11 17.15.00 (800x600).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 2011-12-11 15.15.17 (800x600).jpg
    2011-12-11 15.15.17 (800x600).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 503
  • 2011-12-10 09.59.53 (600x800).jpg
    2011-12-10 09.59.53 (600x800).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 246
CaddyUser said:
CaddyUser said:
firehappy said:
CaddyUser said:
Ouch! Heal quick!

I too am a basement burner. I've been hauling one of those canvas carriers for a couple of years now, but decided to do the pipe-in-the-basement-window-chute thing this year. I've been concerned about doing the same thing....
i have thought about trying a chute through the basement window. do you have pics? for me it would be through to a bedroom and then haul from there. I am looking at the canvas carriers right now on amazon.

Sure, will do. I'll take pics of the bracket too that keeps the pipe from making a mess of the window frame. I have to put some wood in this weekend, so I'll do it then.

Cheers!

OK, here we go... The first photo is of the pipe through the window, and ready to go. It's a corrugated pipe that I picked up for free from one of the local contractors. It has a nick in the sealing surface at the upper end, so they were not able to use it.

The next is from the outside. Pretty self explanatory.

The third is the guide that I made to help me get the pipe through the window without causing damage to the window or frame. It's just a bit of flat bar bent into position, and then I used some threaded rod to be able to adjust the height. The rollers are just caster wheels that I picked up at the hardware store. A little more threaded rod and I'm off and going.

The whole thing cost me about $25, and it's been well worth it so far.

My next associated project will be a cart downstairs that the wood can go into, and then I can roll it over to the stack. I usually put about nine wheel barrow loads down at a time, so once this is all done, I should be saving (9 loads * 4 trips per load)-(9 loads * 1 trip per load) = 27 trips up and down the basement stairs. That works for me....

Pretty clever set up, Ive been toying with a similar idea, if I ever get some free time I may implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.