Broke down - Oregon 511AX heading my way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Been wanting a grinder for a lonnngggggg time - so, found a brand new unit on eBay for $320 with free shipping - I hope it arrives soon. Just found out I need to leave for about 8 weeks of work in southeast Ohio.....might not even get to try her out before I leave at the end of next week. I'm sure I'll be posting some questions once I get her up and running. Cheers!

Reactions: zap
Where you heading to in southeast ohio?

Been wanting a grinder for a lonnngggggg time - so, found a brand new unit on eBay for $320 with free shipping - I hope it arrives soon. Just found out I need to leave for about 8 weeks of work in southeast Ohio.....might not even get to try her out before I leave at the end of next week. I'm sure I'll be posting some questions once I get her up and running. Cheers!
You'll like it NH_Wood, I had lots of help from Smokin when I got started with the 109179 bench grinder from Oregon.

By the end of next summer I'll have sharpened enough that it will have paid for itself.

Thanks Zap - sure hope I do - I'm assuming a bit of a learning curve, but I have about 9 3/8 chains and 6 0.325 chains that could use a good truing on a grinder - at $6/chain at the local shop, it would be $90 just to get them back to true - so, I think it'll have paid for itself fairly quickly. I'm sure I'll be bugging smokin' and others for some advice! Cheers!

Thanks Zap - sure hope I do - I'm assuming a bit of a learning curve, but I have about 9 3/8 chains and 6 0.325 chains that could use a good truing on a grinder - at $6/chain at the local shop, it would be $90 just to get them back to true - so, I think it'll have paid for itself fairly quickly. I'm sure I'll be bugging smokin' and others for some advice! Cheers!
Don't forget Oregon (email off their website) they will get back to you quick, I've used it 3 or 4 times.

I bought a caliper so I make sure I start off with the shortest cutter, I don't use it all the time.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CMLvmoGL07cCFUJlMgodtTsAkQ

Good idea - I have a caliper, so good to go there. Did you find the grinder relatively easy to learn to use? Cheers!

Good idea - I have a caliper, so good to go there. Did you find the grinder relatively easy to learn to use? Cheers!
Yes, but I still can get better at it. I do more hand filing then ever but it's still nice when you can throw it on the grinder.

The big reason I bought it was because of the milling chains, I forget what they charge for a chain that goes on a 36 inch bar.

Thanks Zap - I saw that vid a while ago - real well done. I also hand file a lot and I'm very happy with my chains, but after a while, I can see the inconsistencies - will be great to be able the true the angles periodically, or grind rather than hand file after a buddy chews threw a rock ;hm. Cheers!

Reactions: zap
Status
Not open for further replies.