1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Broke down - Oregon 511AX heading my way

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Jun 7, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Been wanting a grinder for a lonnngggggg time - so, found a brand new unit on eBay for $320 with free shipping - I hope it arrives soon. Just found out I need to leave for about 8 weeks of work in southeast Ohio.....might not even get to try her out before I leave at the end of next week. I'm sure I'll be posting some questions once I get her up and running. Cheers!
    zap likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Michael Golden

Michael Golden Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Where you heading to in southeast ohio?
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

You'll like it NH_Wood, I had lots of help from Smokin when I got started with the 109179 bench grinder from Oregon.

By the end of next summer I'll have sharpened enough that it will have paid for itself.
  4. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks Zap - sure hope I do - I'm assuming a bit of a learning curve, but I have about 9 3/8 chains and 6 0.325 chains that could use a good truing on a grinder - at $6/chain at the local shop, it would be $90 just to get them back to true - so, I think it'll have paid for itself fairly quickly. I'm sure I'll be bugging smokin' and others for some advice! Cheers!
  5. thewoodlands

Don't forget Oregon (email off their website) they will get back to you quick, I've used it 3 or 4 times.
  6. thewoodlands

I bought a caliper so I make sure I start off with the shortest cutter, I don't use it all the time.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CMLvmoGL07cCFUJlMgodtTsAkQ
  7. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Good idea - I have a caliper, so good to go there. Did you find the grinder relatively easy to learn to use? Cheers!
  8. thewoodlands

Yes, but I still can get better at it. I do more hand filing then ever but it's still nice when you can throw it on the grinder.

The big reason I bought it was because of the milling chains, I forget what they charge for a chain that goes on a 36 inch bar.
  9. thewoodlands

10. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks Zap - I saw that vid a while ago - real well done. I also hand file a lot and I'm very happy with my chains, but after a while, I can see the inconsistencies - will be great to be able the true the angles periodically, or grind rather than hand file after a buddy chews threw a rock ;hm. Cheers!
    zap likes this.