Broke the glass on my Quadra fire Mount Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
Today my tadpool gasket came in for my old mt vernon stove. Figured I would replace it tonight....Got everything off nice and easy and install was going fine till...to much pressure applied by yours truly and CRACK....SOB.
Anyone have an old Mt Vernon stove glass laying around? If yes please reply.

If you get no replies, try the local glass shop. Most of them can order ceramic glass for you, if they don't have it in stock.

Never heard of anyone doing it before, but maybe put a small blob of high temp silicone between the tabs and glass?...for peace of mind during tourqage.

I've looked at the amount of "crush" on my window gasket many times and wondered why you don't see more glass failures.

Too late in the day. Searched on the web and found a few suppliers that specialize in fireplace/pellet stove glass. Shipping was only $15. Sure beats going to the local stove shop and shelling out $225

to much pressure applied by yours truly and CRACK....SOB​
homer-simpson-doh.gifHate it when that happens. Ouch.

That sucks, I did that a few years ago.

Last time I needed gasket, I just brought the door to a dealer (not the one i bought stove from, my dad bough a stove via another outfit, man i wish i had them install mine) went out to luch and they installed. Castile doors pop off super easy.

Ray

$155 beans. Lesson learned. Now not to break the next one.....
Keep us informed about the service (shipping time, etc), and the quality of the glass.....this might be one of those places I bookmark for future reference.

Will do. Found another site that was selling tadpole gaskets at 1/3 the cost also. $9.60 but with shipping comes to $24. Still beats the $50 the local shops are charging for the same thing.

Happened to me on my stove. Luckiy I found a shop in Massachussetts that shipped me the glass in one day. I was back up and running in no time. Final cost was $70 with shipping. Easy repair on the Lopi Leyden. I found local glass shops wanted at least $100 for the glass.

I know the feeling :( I broke the glass in my wood stove door. I called three different places and it was all the same price $140.00 a square foot .

Glass arrived in excellent shape. Install went with out any hiccups. Delivery was about a week after the order was placed. That was the only downer. Electric heat is off and pellets are being burnt again!!!!

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.