broke the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicSWC

Nov 4, 2011
York, Pa.
Well, the glass on my nashua broke tonight. What a pita. My question is this, is glass just glass? I have plenty and can cut my own, but is woodstove glass different? Thanks

Yeah. It's special glass. Check with you local comercial glass installer/contractor/supplier. You could probably cut it yourself, that's the easy part.
Good luck! How'd you break it?

No, it's not just "glass". It's (at least these days) pyroceram or neoceram...a ceramic product that actually was developed (at least as I understand it) through NASA programs. There are suppliers who can provide you with exactly what you need if you can provide them with a pattern or accurate dimensions or available appliance information. One such supplier that has been used by many members here is:

http://www.onedayglass.com/

They'll fix you right up for a fair price and get the replacement to you quickly. Whatever you do...don't put just regular old glass into the door of your wood stove...it likely won't last through one good fire. Rick

+1 Fossil

When I had to replace a broken piece on my old defiant/encore the replacement cost was almost $200. I went to the dump and ripped the top off of a smooth top electric stove- took it to a glass shop and had it cut to size. Total cost was around $10. On my new used CDW, which has smaller windows, I cut a pyrex dish I got at a garage sale for 50 cents. good luck

I used to make a lot of fireplace doors for gas logs. They were real popular for a while. Thought I just used tempered safety glass IIRC. Could be wrong though. I don't think the glass was all that expensive, and never had one come back.

Thanks for the replies. I had the door open to get the fire up when a piece started to fall out. Since my hands were full I used my foot to close the door and I guess the corner of the wood caught the glass just right. Actually it broke right where the gasket was loose.

My next question is how do I get the frame off? It looks like it's rivited on.

Status
Not open for further replies.