Broke up with my old smoke dragon, how hot to burn new one.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
My new stove is a Lopi answer, some of you may know. I am being very cautios on this one. One overfire and I may cause damage. With that being said where should I put my Rutland, on the stove pipe or above the glass door on the little ledge of the stove. How hot should I burn it at. I burned my old stove with the thermometer on the stove pipe. I usually aimed for pipe temps of 300 to 500 degrees. Please help, everything I have learned is out the window. Thanks again.

Lots of folks put them on the stove top centered over the door.

I'm surprised your manual didn't come with a recommendation. My Morso was very specific, 18" above the stove on the stovepipe, maximum of 450 degrees.

Manuel says directly on top of the appliance. It seems like it won't be correct since there is a gap for air between the top of the stove and the rest. Oh well maybe I should quit worrying and just let it rip. Manuel also says 700 to 800 degrees F is a high burn. My old stove would be glowing orange. I just would hate to ruin it.

spadafore imo the wind has to be almost perfect to get it that hot with hardwoods...and if you're using the blower that will keep the stove top temp down.

Run it around five to six hundred stove top temp for a while and see how it heats. Heat produced for wood consumed is close to optimum in that range in my opinion. And the opinion of several stove makers.

Jotul F400 says on the corner of the stove top and provide an illustration showing the center of either side. Go figure.

I have mine on the center of the stove top, about 2 or 3 inches back from the edge/lip of the lower surface. You can't see it all that well in the pic below, but you can see the corner of the thermometer. Ignore the mess on the stove, that was a leak that was later repaired by the installers. My Endeavor runs around 550-600F when it's cruising.

moisture2.jpg

spadafore said:
Manuel says directly on top of the appliance. It seems like it won't be correct since there is a gap for air between the top of the stove and the rest. Oh well maybe I should quit worrying and just let it rip. Manuel also says 700 to 800 degrees F is a high burn. My old stove would be glowing orange. I just would hate to ruin it.

Go with what the manual says. I do so on both of my stoves. My Olympic regularly hits the 800 mark or so on my stove top thermometer - not knowing what temp that is exactly - prior to cooling a bit when I choke the air down some more.

I put mine on the Revere on the top a little to the left of the bypass rod and where the baffle starts. It loves wood at 5-600*. I've been to 700, but I got scared and dampered way down. If you run it at those high temps you'll get into a cruising mode. This means that you'll damper the air almost all the way (in my case all the way) and it will just sit there at 600 for about 2 hours before slowly backing off. I love it when my stove hits it's sweet spot.

Last night I cut my splits so they would fit north to south in the firebox. I didn"t quite stuff it full, but pretty close. I put the rutland on the piece of metal that hung over the door. The stove top temp got up to around 550 on the thermometer. With my ir temp gun I noticed that the steel plate that would be called the top of the stove was about 100 degrees cooler than where I put the rutland. Also I measured the stove pipe at 700 degrees farenhite. I thought the stove was supposed to be hotter than the stove pipe. I'll get it figured out one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.