Broken air flow cable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmull

Feb 15, 2016
Illinois
I have a Vermont Defiant Model 1975. The cable connecting the handle to the air control "flap" is broken. Does anyone know how to get to it to replace it?
Thanks for ny help you can give

Welcome! Do you have a copy of the manual? You can find one here:

http://woodstoves.net/documents/Vermont-Castings/Defiant-manual.pdf

Check out the exploded parts diagram on page 36. If you're good with schematics, you can probably figure out what needs to be removed in order to gain access. I can't help with the actual procedure, but if it's anything like my Defiant Encore, it's probably hidden behind one of the interior panels. A good cleaning of the firebox should reveal the bolts to take those panels apart.

You can probably find the replacement part at one of several parts suppliers. Here's a common one.

http://www.discountstoveparts.com/

Good luck.

I've had to deal with this problem in all BUT the 1975. I'll tell you what I know: most of the time, the culprit is NOT the cable bu the thermostat. There is a little rivet that often fails. It is the thing that the draft control lever on the right side of the stove attaches to, and is located between the exterior side of the stove and the inside right firebox liner. On all catalytic Defiants and Encores (except earliest ones) the inner right side is simply bolted in place, and by removing the 2 bolts and the wedge that retains the lower fireback or bricks, it comes right out and both the thermo. and most of the cable is then visible.

On your stove, there is sort of a half size inner right side which I believ is just bolted in there? Tr to remove that, and you should have access. Might be a r.side birck or something else that has to come out too, but the thermo/cable set up is the same.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.