Broken Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Sep 15, 2008
Fallon, NV
Greetings! I had the chimney cleaned 4 weeks ago by our stove dealer and a couple of days ago I did a really small break-in fire. Last night was 1st "real" fire and I noticed the baffle is broken. :( Obviously it was caused by the cleaning because there is a large dent near the crack and the dent is pushed downwards as though the brush hit the top. So I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a free fix. Meanwhile, the outside temps are in the low 40's and will probably be in the 30's tonight. I realize that the baffle makes the stove more efficient, but is it o.k. to operate it with the cracked baffle?

You should be ok burning with a cracked baffle, it just may be a little less efficient. Make sure the dealer replaces that asap! There has been a couple other posts of sweeps breaking baffles, you would think they would be smart enough to take it out first before running a brush down.

Thanks for the reply Todd! Guess next time I'll have to politely remind the sweep to remove the baffle first.

If that same sweep has to come replace the baffle he broke then I would hope he would remember to remove the baffle next time. What a dope.

Update: Called the dealer today and the baffle will be replaced because it's still under warranty---although the warranty is for breakage caused by defects or workmanship. So I guess that means the sweep can do it his way for another 4 years?!

Windy said:
Update: Called the dealer today and the baffle will be replaced because it's still under warranty---although the warranty is for breakage caused by defects or workmanship. So I guess that means the sweep can do it his way for another 4 years?!

Not with my stove he wouldn't. In this case the dealer is cheating the manufacturer on behalf of the sweep.

And driving up costs for all of us.

Sweep it yourself next time...only way to know its done right!! 8

eightpilot said:
Sweep it yourself next time...only way to know its done right!! 8

Well, I wasn't gonna bring up that if he doesn't know how to do a good job at the bottom then how good of a job does he do up top or in the middle. :mad:

I swept mine last week and was suprised to only get 1.5 cups of fly ash out of it total. Very clean after burning 24/7 all last winter. Then again, I do have an Oslo so it makes clean burning easy...lol

eightpilot said:
I swept mine last week and was suprised to only get 1.5 cups of fly ash out of it total. Very clean after burning 24/7 all last winter. Then again, I do have an Oslo so it makes clean burning easy...lol

Heck if you can drive an eight running an Oslo outta be a piece of cake. No pre-flight, wing icing is never a problem and just one control input. ;-P

But Bart your missing the most crucial part....No autopilot! lol

eightpilot said:
But Bart your missing the most crucial part....No autopilot! lol

I didn't miss it but I knew that you would reply that a good pilot doesn't need it. Even though flying Bufs or Flufs without using it is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.