Broken Fire Clay Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ackerm61

Apr 3, 2016
Northern Michigsn
We are renovating our lower level and have a Lopi Liberty wood stove in that room that hasn't been used since purchasing our home over a year ago.

Our plan is to put ceramic tile on the wall and floor around the stove but first we need to address the broken clay thimble. The broken pieces are 2 large chunks that fit back into place pretty well. What are our options?

Here are photos of the broken thimble and the two pieces that have broken off:
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

This is infrastructure. A remodel is a good time to address issues. Is there a stainless liner in the chimney? If not, is there a plan to install one? That may be a good idea at this juncture. If not, be sure the chimney meets code, has a good liner that is sized correctly for the stove. If all meet spec, bust out the old thimble and replace with a new one.

Is there at least 12" clear to the adjacent wood furring strips?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chimney-passing-a-chimney-through-the-wall.147754/

These things tend to crack anyway, Since its on top you could try to piece it together with furnace cement. The black stuff in the tub,(i think its rutland)
is like steel when it dries. OR You could chip out the whole thing and replace it. They usually sell them in 24" sections that i frequently have to cut in half to 12". Should be a few chimney guys on here that could chime in. These things are really hard ,have to cut it with a diamond saw. Looks like its extending too far
from the masonry, which makes it weaker, if you install a new piece ,dont let it protrude that far out of the brick.

I would cut it off at the furthest point out that it's not cracked. Looks like you'd have an inch and a half or so left.

I would cut it off at the furthest point out that it's not cracked. Looks like you'd have an inch and a half or so left.
Thats a good idea , again you will need a diamond blade on a grinder or something similar to cut it.

If the thimble is cracked, chances are there are cracks in the flue. A stainless steel liner would be a good thing to install. It will make sure everything runs safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.