Broken firebricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
In the interests of moving the dragon more easily, I removed all the firebricks... and found six of the twenty or so broken in half. They weren't dislocated, and showed no other signs of damage.

I can replace them easily enough when I sell the stove... Is this of any other concern?

put the broken ones on the bottom, no need to replace them, let the next owner do that.

Hogwildz said:
put the broken ones on the bottom, no need to replace them, let the next owner do that.

Actually, I think that already happened. Most of the broken ones WERE on the bottom.

If you want to replace them any one that sells stoves will have some. At the local Tractor Supply they are about $2.50 each I think.

Cracked bricks on the bottom post no concern at all. However, broken bricks on the side or back should be replaced. If the bricks are crumbling and total garbage on the bottom of the stove, you should replace them. They are cheap and relatively easy to replace, especially if you have a masonry blade (they make them for your circular saw and for your four inch grinder, I have both). Cut the bricks to fit (wearing a dust mask and protective eyewear) and it'll be good to go. I would do it, if it were me. They don't call me Overkill fer nothin..... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.