Broken fireplace rack where I place my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akphillips

Sep 25, 2014
Denver
Hi all. I'm new & it's early in denver,, so I forgot what this item that holds our burning wood is called. what is it?

My q is -- why did the top threaded metal pArt of it break after 1yr of burning est 1cord of mixed hardwood & 2x4 starter? Some 2x4's had nails, but I read on here & my fireplace cleaner guy said it was ok to do so.

If it matters I got it at home depot or lowes & I admit that the metal felt lighter than my old one that the heavy metal broke on after 20? Yrs.

Thxs all!
Fire burner Amanda in Denver
"WINTER IS COMING" ha

Fireplace Grate

They don't make them like they used to. Most of us don't use them anymore.

TLM_Series-401x240.jpg

Reactions: Akphillips
Fireplace Grate

They don't make them like they used to. Most of us don't use them anymore.

TLM_Series-401x240.jpg
Yes! A grate! Duh.. Thank y'all so much for ur answers. So there isn't anywhere to buy a good ole heavy duty grate like the one in this pic? My good old one looked just like this.
So if I don't have a grate under the fire how does enuf air get under the wood to start The fire?
Lastly, I suck at construction stuff so will u please explain how I'd make the railroad spike grate? That sounds cool.
Thxs guys !!

I used fire dogs in my last stove. Made them out of railroad spikes and every year one of them would break in the middle. I'd reweld it, throw it back in the stove and be good for the season. Worked better than any grates I'd used previously.
Buck Stove still sells them.
https://www.buckstove.com/partsstore/home.php?cat=21

I just read the fire dog link .. Thxs a mil.. This sounds like what I needs
How much wood do u burn every yr?

post allot and your ranking goes up. And no the nails are not doing it. It will get enough air with no grate or andirons it will burn slower from the top down. You can always look at flea markets or consignment shops for a set of andirons or an old heavy grate.

Guys, last q-- how do I add "master of fire etc " below my name?

Your title will change the more you post.

I believe once you've mad 250+ posts it will change to "Feeling The Heat"

500+ posts "Minister of Fire"

post allot and your ranking goes up. And no the nails are not doing it. It will get enough air with no grate or andirons it will burn slower from the top down. You can always look at flea markets or consignment shops for a set of andirons or an old heavy grate.
Thxs so much. I'll ck craigslist too

i was burning threw one of those home depot grates in less than one year. i then bought a more expensive one online. same thing as the cheap one.
my final fix for it was to throw it out and i bought an insert. haven't needed one since

What are you burning in? Open fireplace? If a stove you don't need a grate.

i was burning threw one of those home depot grates in less than one year. i then bought a more expensive one online. same thing as the cheap one.
my final fix for it was to throw it out and i bought an insert. haven't needed one since
What is an insert? I have a wood burning fireplace
Btw , I thought that ur pic was a face covered in black. Ha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.