Broken front door frame screw on a Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2015
Roanoke VA
So today when I was loading my stove I noticed the front door closed a little funny. After further inspection I found the top right screw sheared off about ¼ inch below the head. I picked up some replacement screws but while waiting for the stove to cool I figured I would ask some questions. Has anyone had this happen before? Is the screw threaded into the plenum or is there a nut back there?

2 of the other 3 were fairly lose so I am hoping an easy out or left handed drill will back it out if there are not nuts.

Probably the coldest night of the decade around here so bad timing. Not burning the stove with 3 screws though!

I have enjoyed the info all of you provide on this site for a while, so thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

I am replacing my 25 year old Hearthstone after the burning season. Went to a local Hearthstone dealer to look over the stoves. I can tell you the door latches from 25 years ago are much stronger than what I looked at. Have never had a problem with mine. I was looking at the ash tray for a Heritage and could not get the door to stay shut; I would push it shut, turn the handle but it never latched correctly and would pop open.

I feel for you, terrible having such problems in the middle of heating season.

I am replacing my 25 year old Hearthstone after the burning season. Went to a local Hearthstone dealer to look over the stoves. I can tell you the door latches from 25 years ago are much stronger than what I looked at. Have never had a problem with mine. I was looking at the ash tray for a Heritage and could not get the door to stay shut; I would push it shut, turn the handle but it never latched correctly and would pop open.

I feel for you, terrible having such problems in the middle of heating season.
Mine is 10 + years in service, have not done anything to it at all and have run a bunch of wood through it every year. My ash door is ok but I don't use it. I make less mess using a shovel I think. I am going to take a good look at the latches though. Looks like they would make the part that is easy to replace softer so it does not cause wear on the frame...

IMG_4817.JPG Took $35 in tools to replace a $.35 screw but back in business. There are no nuts on the front door frame screws. Called my dealer and he said he had never heard of this happening. The screw extractor did not work so I just drilled and tapped it. Hearthstone tech said use grade 5 hardware in that location and replied to me same day. Overall, very happy:)

Reactions: gyrfalcon
View attachment 154166 Took $35 in tools to replace a $.35 screw but back in business. There are no nuts on the front door frame screws. Called my dealer and he said he had never heard of this happening. The screw extractor did not work so I just drilled and tapped it. Hearthstone tech said use grade 5 hardware in that location and replied to me same day. Overall, very happy:)
Good news. Thanks for reporting back.

Status
Not open for further replies.