Broken glass on a Jotul wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sillymonkey

Apr 13, 2014
New Jersey
I have a Jotul wood burning stove, which is quite old, and unfortunately the glass on the door broke. I don't have a picture of the stove itself, however, I do have a couple of pictures of the door itself, especially of the stamped numbers on the inside. I live in NJ, however, the stove is in Norway where I spend some summers at a little cabin. Unfortunately, I don't speak Norwegian and had very little luck getting help from the parent company. This is why I am hoping to possibly get the replacement glass here in the USA and just bring it with me the next time I go there. Any ideas where I can get a glass to fit this door? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
image (31).jpegimage (27).jpegimage (28).jpegimage (29).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a Jotul I80 Panorama, a rare bird of a stove. The only place I am finding spare parts are out of the UK.

There are a few other stoves out there with ached glass, but not many. Be prepared to spend a bunch of money. The few I have been associated with, cost more than the stove is worth. Not trying to scare you, but be prepared. Might want to be sitting down when you make the call!!!!

My old insert's glass cracked and it was a unique shaped piece. Rather than hunt down the parts I took it to a local glass shop. They replaced it perfectly with whatever kind of glass it was, tempered or glass ceramic, I forget.

My old insert's glass cracked and it was a unique shaped piece. Rather than hunt down the parts I took it to a local glass shop. They replaced it perfectly with whatever kind of glass it was, tempered or glass ceramic, I forget.
Unique shape is no big deal, it's the bow in the glass that's the big deal. This makes it a factory piece that can't be recreated at any "normal" glass shop.

Unique shape is no big deal, it's the bow in the glass that's the big deal. This makes it a factory piece that can't be recreated at any "normal" glass shop.
I didnt notice that at first glance.

There are glass places that you can take the door to here in nj. And get a hi temp glass to fit in there, just google glass company's in nj and tell them what it s for, bring it in and get it done..... You were smart to bring the door home......

Yes, unfortunately this appears to be a proprietary piece of ceramic glass. Shipping from the UK may be the best option. Tell them to pack it well.

Replacement glass for a Hearthstone Bari is like $1500! It comes in a replacement door frame, I'm guessing its to protect the glass in shipment?

That is a pretty strong argument against these modernistic designs.

We switched out a Lexington Forge stove that had a curved glass last season. The glass was only available from 1 unreliable source for $900! It was only 9 years old. He replaced it with a Hearthstone Mansfield. No thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.