Broken Glass on Freedom Bay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjube

May 29, 2012
Hi All, I have a 4-year-old Lopi Freedom Bay insert that I purchased new. I have never overfired it and have otherwise used it in a consistently safe manner. However, this morning, after loading and starting a fire, the glass front cleanly cracked down the middle and split the glass into two pieces, one of which fell out. Any ideas what might cause that to happen?

Most of the time it is from shutting the door with a piece of wood up against the glass, the other times are from a split rolling into the window.

In your case the way you describe it, it could have been a screw was tightened down a bit too much and in time it just wore out the glass till it cracked or you had an imperfection in the glass.

Call your local glass places, I have noticed most of them will stock some neo/pyro ceram glass, take the glass with you so they can get exact measurements.

Most of the time it is from shutting the door with a piece of wood up against the glass, the other times are from a split rolling into the window.

In your case the way you describe it, it could have been a screw was tightened down a bit too much and in time it just wore out the glass till it cracked or you had an imperfection in the glass.

Call your local glass places, I have noticed most of them will stock some neo/pyro ceram glass, take the glass with you so they can get exact measurements.
Thanks for the great advice. I found a glass place that says they can replace it if I take the door down.

Status
Not open for further replies.