Broken Glass - VC Winterwarm Small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
One of my kids was loading the stove last night, and some how broke the glass in the door. After doing an internet search, I'm finding a place after a Google search that sells a type of glass called Pyroceram III, show a rating of 1650 degrees. Is this the type of glass that I need? Shows a price of $70 (plus shipping) for a piece that's 11 1/8 x 9 3/4. Any help would be appreciated...

I found a glass company locally that has the type of glass (Pyroceram) for $87.50 plus tax. Just need to know if this is what I want to use. Also, does anyone know off the top of their heads if the glass thickness of the VC Winterwarm small is 3/16". Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Measured the thickness of the glass last night - it is 3/16". Now I just need to someone to confirm that the Pyroceram is the type of glass that will work as a replacement for the broken glass...

Sounds right... I had good luck ordering from www.onedayglass.com .. I think other members have used them as well. Great price and fast turn around time.

Pyroceram is correct. You could also call a Vermont Castings dealer that you can find easily on their website and see if someone local to you has an exact replacement for a similar price. That way you have no doubt.

Franks - Maybe it's just because I was dealing with Jotul, but they wanted an arm and a leg for a factory replacement piece of glass. Almost twice what I paid. Vermont Castings might be better though.

Drumaz said:
Franks - Maybe it's just because I was dealing with Jotul, but they wanted an arm and a leg for a factory replacement piece of glass. Almost twice what I paid. Vermont Castings might be better though.

I doubt it will be better, but it's worth a try. If he can buy it from some anonymous on line source for $80, or walk into a local dealer and buy an exact factory replacement for $100, it may just be easier and give him peace of mind...but for double the price, the intranet would be the way to go

isuphipsi1052 said:
Thanks for the answers. Looks like a trip to the local glass shop.

Everyone stay safe...

For what it's worth, local glass shops were a waste of time for me. Could find anyone with the Ceramic. Best of luck !

Decided to take the advice here, and purchased the glass through onedayglass. It arrived yesterday, by the time I got home from work the wife already installed the new piece. Now if I could only get her to stack firewood, I'd be in business...

Thanks for all the help...

P.S. Went with the Neoceram, forgot to add that...

So what did you do with a firebox full of wood and a broken window? Was it broken enough to let air in and the fire run away? I've always wondered how that dance would be and hoped that the broken glass would just crack.

So what did you do with a firebox full of wood and a broken window? Was it broken enough to let air in and the fire run away? I’ve always wondered how that dance would be and hoped that the broken glass would just crack.

I wasn't home at the time of the "break". I was on the other side of our County at a funeral, my daughter called to tell me that the glass had cracked. She indicated that no smoke was backing up into the house, and that she left the flue open. By the time I got home, the fire was still hot, but was dying down. I simply left the flue open and allowed it to burn out. The glass was still intact, but was obviously cracked in 2 spots, with a noticeable "air space" between the pieces. There seemed to be no other issues, other than the broken glass...

Status
Not open for further replies.