Broken raker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Brand new 28" Oregon chain skip tooth. Found a rock in a log. I sharpened the teeth just fine but found one raker bent out of line. I clamped it in the vice and as I bent it back the dang raker snapped off.

Do I leave it be or remove the whole tooth? I'm worried that without a raker that tooth will grab too much wood.

Brand new 28" Oregon chain skip tooth. Found a rock in a log. I sharpened the teeth just fine but found one raker bent out of line. I clamped it in the vice and as I bent it back the dang raker snapped off.

Do I leave it be or remove the whole tooth? I'm worried that without a raker that tooth will grab too much wood.

I don't know if this is the right answer, but I'd grind off the cutter behind it and smooth the whole thing so it's essentially just a skip tooth.

I grind off the whole works and the one on the other side as well. Otherwise it will tend to cut to one side.

I grind off the whole works and the one on the other side as well. Otherwise it will tend to cut to one side.

Probably not a bad idea, but a lot of times chains come with an extra cutter on one side depending on the length, so I don't think he needs to remove one more in this case. I have several chains that have two cutters in a row that are same sided, never noticed any difference in the cut.

One raker in the whole line up of things will probably be virtually un-noticable. Use it. If it turns out to be a pain - THEN worry about knocking down the cutter, but my guess is that you won't even be able to tell.

Probably not a bad idea, but a lot of times chains come with an extra cutter on one side depending on the length, so I don't think he needs to remove one more in this case. I have several chains that have two cutters in a row that are same sided, never noticed any difference in the cut.

The problem, if there is one, is that one tooth might bite deeper, potentially grabbing in smaller wood. I don't think the uneven number of teeth is a problem.

I agree with Jags; try it out and see how it behaves.

This is on my makita 6421. The chain ended up with two right side cutters in a row due to chance. This broken raker is on a left side cutter so I'd be way down on left side cutters. You don't think I'll break the chain when that cutter grabs? What's this about crank damage?

I'd just grind it off and be done with it. I wouldn't want an open cutter. Damage is done, grind it off like it wasn't there and I bet you won't notice it. Won't be a big deal. Chain's aren't that pricey if you don't like it, use it as a backup.

One full tooth sticking out and grabbing every time it goes around will put some serious vibration in your saw and will tug real hard when it goes into the wood.
Grind off enough cutters to even things out and call it good. I have some pretty fast chains with only half the cutters left. Ever heard of 3, 4 or 5 skip chain? I think the most open I have seen is 7 skip.
This is what some guys make from a full comp chain. You grind off certain cutters to get the skip pattern you are after.

One full tooth sticking out and grabbing every time it goes around will put some serious vibration in your saw and will tug real hard when it goes into the wood.
Grind off enough cutters to even things out and call it good. I have some pretty fast chains with only half the cutters left. Ever heard of 3, 4 or 5 skip chain? I think the most open I have seen is 7 skip.
This is what some guys make from a full comp chain. You grind off certain cutters to get the skip pattern you are after.

I have never seen a chain with less teeth than a regular skip chain. So if I grind the broken cutter off you would recommend balancing the chain by taking off another tooth on the opposite side? Nearby or far away?

You can take it off wherever, but I tend to take off the next tooth. I guess the best way would be to go half way around the chain to reduce vibration.

You could just take the top plate off that tooth it would then act as a slitter without digging way in.

Reactions: Highbeam
You could just take the top plate off that tooth it would then act as a slitter without digging way in.

There's an idea. Make it into a raker for a nonexistent tooth!

There's an idea. Make it into a raker for a nonexistent tooth!

I think I'll do that. Grind off the offending tooth's top plate. Probably won't even feel it going around.

I tend to keep chains for many years, pretty good at grinding so as to remove very little material. So I wouldn't trash a new chain without trying some things but I sure don't want to hurt the saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.