Broken Shaft Poulan Pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T Man

Oct 23, 2014
North Central PA
The shaft broke this afternoon on my 16" Poulan Pro. It is model # PPB3416. Does anyone know if this can be replaced without a complete tear down? 1414106814159.jpg 1414107012344.jpg

Honestly I'm not really sure how it happened. I'm pretty good about keeping an eye on the chain tension. I was bucking some smaller limbs and it appeared the chain jumped off and then grabbed hard and stopped. The replacement part is not too expensive, less than $40, but I'm not sure this is something I want to tear into especially right now as my only other saw is 22" which is a little big for what I need to get cut.

If you did replace crank shaft (and probably seals), you'd have more $ in saw than can probably sell it for. That's a cut off spot for me. And that's after a bunch of labor. Lots of options in small saws - low price rerurbs at VMInnovations, CL, big box store or dealer.

You gotta take that whole sucker apart. According to that link above it looks like $45 for that crankshaft assembly. That sounds about right. I'd source another saw for parts, or another saw with a good crank, but shot piston/cylinder. Either way would probably be cheaper. I'm going to go look at ebay right now. brb...

Reactions: TreePointer
Ugh. Just buy a new saw, lol.

I would. Not worth the $ on a homeowner Poulan. I would only repair if I found a non running Poulan for $5-10.

You've got two choices from where I sit.
1. buy another one like it. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who had NO saws, but you've got a whole parts saw to fix the "new" on if anything goes wrong!
2. Buy another saw that is not like it. Throw your saw in the shed until you run across another CHEAP one to combine with it. Seriously, like $15 bucks for a carcass.

Reactions: Jerhurt
Poulan = use till breaks and replace. Wash , rinse, and repeat!

Short if swapping in a new chain or bar my poulan pro is just a cheap replaceable saw to me. Some day I'll buy a real chainsaw...till then mine is still running...got my 3516 on sale for $99.00 +tx three years ago. Lasted me far longer then I expected.

Ian

Reactions: TreePointer
I do not mean to be rude but they are throwaway saws use them to they break throw them away or if you have a parts one repair I definitely would not buy no new parts or have a person repair it for me for what they cost new

Thanks guys, pretty much came to the same conclusion so I'm saw shopping. Got this saw for free (trade for labor) and used for about 3 years. Never had any problems until now. I'll run my larger saw until I can find a decent one with a 16" or 18" bar.

Poulan = use till breaks and replace. Wash , rinse, and repeat!

I agree. My 1991 Poulan 405+ is gonna get replaced when it breaks. Only a 100+ cords under its belt.

I'll give you $15 for that POS, BB...

Reactions: BrotherBart
I agree. My 1991 Poulan 405+ is gonna get replaced when it breaks. Only a 100+ cords under its belt.
I'v got one if you want to replace it with the same.

When it breaks I'll give you a shout.

Reactions: Danno77
Status
Not open for further replies.