Broken Stihl Saw Oil Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
It's a late model Stihl, like, 2 years old.
Timing was bad: had to remove tree on driveway.
The plastic cap broke off in my hand.
It had never been mistreated, though it was hard to close it on many occasion-I thought I had filled it too high.
$12 bucks for a little cap that never should have worn out.
Anybody else experience this? Very annoying.

I don't think so in this case.
I've worked on cars when it was real cold and broken plastic pieces but it was only around 30F at the time.
It's replaced and I'm in the process of moving on, but the sticker shock and the short life of a cap got to me.

that does suck.

Ive got stihl caps that are 20+ years old, that dont crack in the cold.

I guess if you had not been in a bind, you could have shopped around a little, maybe order a spare for next winter?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=stihl+fuel+cap&category0;=

or, voice your opinion with your wallet, and sell the stihl, and get a husky.

[ i like my stihl saws, I also stock spare gas caps, although Ive never needed one]

velvetfoot said:
I don't think so in this case.
I've worked on cars when it was real cold and broken plastic pieces but it was only around 30F at the time.
It's replaced and I'm in the process of moving on, but the sticker shock and the short life of a cap got to me.

You might talk to the dealer who sold you the saw and see if they can do something for you. Most dealers will go to bat for you if the product was defective. It might have been a bubble or flaw in the injection molding for the plastic. I'd at least call your dealer and ask.

was it the new black and white cap with the flip up handle? ( the one they call tool-less)?

Ive got one of those on my ms310, and I think it fits the other saws as well, my point is, they are all interchangeable, grab a few cheapies when you can find them, and keep them around.

Hey, I'm lucky I have a couple of shear pins for the snow blower, never mind spare caps for the saw! :)

I bought a MS-361 last week.

The dealer made it a point to show me the caps, and told me not to force it on if it was starting to go in crooked. So something tells me he has seen more than a few broken caps.

Think I'll grab a spare.

Mine is a 350.
I also think if you fill it up with too much oil it won't lock since it has to displace a certain amount of oil, which of course gets displaced all over hands and saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.