Brought more wood in yesterday, still burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Loaded the basement woodbox one more time yesterday.
MN threw winter back at us today, glad wood is in & dry.
Forecast up to 4" today then 3" more tonight.
My fault though, I was going to put some tomato plants in the Green House today.
May wait a few days/weeks now :(

Attachments

• GH 4-5-11.jpg
    GH 4-5-11.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 497
Wish that was our forcast bog......I love snow....too bad about the tomato plants....what else do you grow in that greenhouse????

GAMMA RAY said:
Wish that was our forcast bog......I love snow....too bad about the tomato plants....what else do you grow in that greenhouse????
Cucs, & peppers.
Threw some cucumber & hot pepper seeds in the soil boxes yesterday, Heat tape in the soil boxes, soil temp is 65 now.

Not so lonely now, others getting snow too. Long winter for sure. :(

I am a huge pickle fan....eat several every day.....my friend will grow the cucumbers and is going to teach me how to make pickles....save money....those pickles are expensive...specially when you eat them all the time....no...not pregnant..do you make pickles????

GAMMA RAY said:
I am a huge pickle fan....eat several every day.....my friend will grow the cucumbers and is going to teach me how to make pickles....save money....those pickles are expensive...specially when you eat them all the time....no...not pregnant..do you make pickles????

I'm not pregnant either & I like pickles. (just not with ice cream) :)
Yes, some years we get lots of cucs. If I do a good job of pollenating :)

bogydave said:
GAMMA RAY said:

I'm not pregnant either & I like pickles. (just not with ice cream) :)
Yes, some years we get lots of cucs. If I do a good job of pollenating :)

Is that pollenating hard on your wings? LOL

Dave, although most of our snow is gone now (only a few patches left) it was snowing again this morning. Thankfully it did not amount to much and then it warmed into the 40's after noon. The NW wind was a bit nippy though. More rain/snow on the way tonight and tomorrow and again before the weekend but then they are saying a warmup for the weekend. We'll see....

Attachments

• 100_6087.jpg
    100_6087.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 377
Dave, not only is the plow off, but I put it out in the far barn where it will stay hopefully until December. Wish me luck...

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, not only is the plow off, but I put it out in the far barn where it will stay hopefully until December. Wish me luck...

Sound like your ready to plant the garden. Now that you took it off & put it away, luck may not help; :) but
Good luck.

Garden will wait for quite some time yet here Dave. We won't have as big of a garden this year either so that will help on the time and energy factor.

Yep, same boat. Down to a couple days of wood in my 'wood room' off the attached garage. Will bring in another week's worth of wood on Thursday. I don't see my stove going cold for some time yet - been burning pretty steady since mid-October - wondering if I'll end up with about a 6 month burn season this year.......Cheers!

[quote author="bogydave last year we received our last snow of the winter on 4-27-2010 and I also caught the eagle fishing over the brook.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0715.jpg
    100_0715.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 100_0716.jpg
    100_0716.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_0712.jpg
    100_0712.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 352
I might try to place some cukes this year. Last year the moose ate them all as soon as I put them outside. I think camera operated machine gun turrent ought to take care of that? Maybe help out with the bastard neighbors cat too? :D

I threw some wood in the stove this morning as well. Not all that cold but I suspected I wouldn't be roasted out of the house with a small fire since the sun isn't coming out.

I plan to have the stove going until May. I'm burning mostly junk wood(shorties/unstackables)right now, looking at 35 tonight and low 50's for tomorrows highs. I started the last week of September so I'm ready to be done! If I had ng instead of propane the furnace would be handling the heating chores. :lol:

rdust said:
I plan to have the stove going until May. I'm burning mostly junk wood(shorties/unstackables)right now, looking at 35 tonight and low 50's for tomorrows highs. I started the last week of September so I'm ready to be done! If I had ng instead of propane the furnace would be handling the heating chores. :lol:

What he said, & BTW I we in MI can blame Dennis for the lousy weather. Everybody knows to leave the plows on till May 1. LOL
A C

zapny said:
[quote author="bogydave last year we received our last snow of the winter on 4-27-2010 and I also caught the eagle fishing over the brook.
Zap

That Eagle isn't fishing.
It's "GROUNDED" due to bad weather. :)

DANG i envy you. I would LOVE to live in Alaska (instead of Pgh)

bogydave said:
My fault though, I was going to put some tomato plants in the Green House today.

zapny said:

Zap

I honestly don't know what our"last snow of the season" would be... it snows regularly from October through early May, & at least one snow storm per month for the rest of the year... I love it. :)

I grew up (jr high to high school) 25 miles south of you on 51. Sisters still there, So Park.
Pittsburgh sure has changed. I like Alaska but like SW PA too. Both good. Alaska just bigger but weather sure different.
Steeler fan forever. Spend a winter before you say you'd love it here. Got to get outside once during the winter.(like Hawaii, So Cal)
Some Summers great, why we live here(+ no snakes), some it rains allot, like last year, aarg why do I live here.
SmokeyCity said:
DANG i envy you. I would LOVE to live in Alaska (instead of Pgh)

bogydave said:

bogydave said:
aarg why do I live here.

Take the good with the bad wherever you live. How does the greenhouse soil get to 65 already? Is that really just solar gain?

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:
aarg why do I live here.

Take the good with the bad wherever you live. How does the greenhouse soil get to 65 already? Is that really just solar gain?

Ahh caught that eh?
I put heat tape in the bottom of the soil boxes. Plugged it in 4 days ago. Gives me about 3 to 4 week jump start.
Get 78 ° temps in the GH when sunny days now.
I plant them deep & cover the boxes with GH plastic sheeting at night. Add soil as they grow.

No plan on leaving anytime soon, Jan & Feb are bad months (with 1st 1/2 of April if you didn't get outside during the winter).
(maybe be a "snow bird" & leave for those 2 months. A week or 2 outside (somewhere warm) helps get thru it.
Giving up many of the things Alaska has would be tough, summers specially.
No snakes, tornados, hurricanes here :)
More laid back, not so hurried except now, hurry up & thaw, we got things to do. :)
I live in a moderate zone, few weeks below zero in January usually.

I "think" our winter may finally be over here (SW Ohio). I could not imagine myself living in Alaska. Don't get me wrong, you have some of the most beautiful scenery up there, but I hate cold weather and snow!

bogydave said:
Ahh caught that eh?
I put heat tape in the bottom of the soil boxes. Plugged it in 4 days ago. Gives me about 3 to 4 week jump start.

lol, you've got all the tricks.

Speaking of tricks, do you recommend the black plastic over the outdoor beds? I wouldn't mind starting my season a little earlier either.

Status
Not open for further replies.