Brought more wood in yesterday, still burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
David

I thought you would have much more snow than you do. Where I live, I still have 3-4 feet in my yard. On Thursday night last week we received 8 inches of wet stuff. Very unpleasant this time of the year. I always look forward to the next season as it approaches but it seems I go from Winter to Summer now! They are even calling for -11 C tomorrow night!

Andrew

When I moved here 30 yrs ago, We got snow. Feet of snow.
In the past 10 or so years, not much snow. The iditarod start has officially been moved to Willow
because of so many years with the lack of enough snow here for the race.
Some little shift in the weather pattern has changed. We get more & stronger wind & less snow.
I never had enough snow to ride my snow machine this winter.
Just took this pic of GH & yard: @ 18:53 **top left can see a little part of the lake, just ice, no snow on it.

Attachments

• 100_6088.jpg
    100_6088.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 135
SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:
Ahh caught that eh?
I put heat tape in the bottom of the soil boxes. Plugged it in 4 days ago. Gives me about 3 to 4 week jump start.

lol, you've got all the tricks.

Speaking of tricks, do you recommend the black plastic over the outdoor beds? I wouldn't mind starting my season a little earlier either.

Clear plastic. it lets the suns rays thru & heats the soil. The "green house effect" heat passes thru & gets trapped in the soil.
Black, blocks the sun from the soil but the plastic gets warm
I did several experiments with it, 4 to 7 degree warmer soil with clear plastic, to no plastic.
8 to 12 degrees colder when covered with black plastic. Thick white plastic was colder yet (reflected all the heat).
I do paint the outside of the raised beds flat black so the wood absorbs heat, helps stay warmer at night. But no
noticeable soil temp gains in the beds.
Now this baby heats the soil, got ripe tomatoes outdoors, 12 degree soil temp gain (bright sunny days) over the all wooden beds.
Sun Tuff GH sheeting from Home D. (Green House for dirt :) )

Attachments

• GH soil box2.jpg
    GH soil box2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 102
  • GH soil box1.jpg
    GH soil box1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 99
bogydave said:
Clear plastic. it lets the suns rays thru & heats the soil. The "green house effect" heat passes thru & gets trapped in the soil.
I did several experiments with it, 4 to 7 degree warmer soil with clear plastic, to no plastic.
8 to 12 degrees colder when covered with black plastic.

Cool, thanks. I might give clear plastic sheeting a try. I wonder why so many people think the black plastic warms the soil?

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:
8 to 12 degrees colder when covered with black plastic.

Cool, thanks. I might give clear plastic sheeting a try. I wonder why so many people think the black plastic warms the soil?
Black plastic is used as weed control. Clear plastic, the weeds grow under it & on hot sunny days the weeds get cooked.

Ill still take AK any day!

bogydave said:
I grew up (jr high to high school) 25 miles south of you on 51. Sisters still there, So Park.
Pittsburgh sure has changed. I like Alaska but like SW PA too. Both good. Alaska just bigger but weather sure different.
Steeler fan forever. Spend a winter before you say you'd love it here. Got to get outside once during the winter.(like Hawaii, So Cal)
Some Summers great, why we live here(+ no snakes), some it rains allot, like last year, aarg why do I live here.
SmokeyCity said:
DANG i envy you. I would LOVE to live in Alaska (instead of Pgh)

bogydave said:
Loaded the basement woodbox one more time yesterday.
MN threw winter back at us today, glad wood is in & dry.
Forecast up to 4" today then 3" more tonight.
My fault though, I was going to put some tomato plants in the Green House today.
May wait a few days/weeks now :(

Looks nice and dry. My yard is mostly a lake right now. Freaking moose decided it was a good place to camp out too so now backyard is full of moose knuckle dents.

Status
Not open for further replies.