Brought some un-wanted guests into house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
Over the weekend I split some of my emergency back up wood and brought in around 2 trailers full or around a week and a half supply of it. This wood was sitting cut but not split for around 2 years. My goal was to use about 1/2-3/4 seasoned wood and this partially seasoned wood to extend my wood supply.

This morning I pulled the bark off of about 5 splits and put them in front of the stove to dry. On one of the splits there was what looked like dirt under the bark since it was sitting on the ground I didn't think much off it. I came back around 20 mins later and a whole pile of ants were crawling around on the floor. I squashed them and threw the offending piece into the stove along with its bark. But the problem is I now have ants in the house and in the wood bin. :shut:

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of the ants in the wood bin in my basement?

judging from your avatar, you probably don't want to go the chemical route - eh? Try some of the Raid traps, which keep the nasty chemicals hidden inside. Otherwise I think your only real option is to try and get the area cleaned out as much as you can. Move the wood back outdoors or burn it up. You're going to have to expose any area they may be hiding. Limit their food supply, too - don't give them any reason to want to stick around. Then if they're still infesting the area, you may just have to go the chemical / professional route... good luck!

Poor ants...they're probably just as upset as you are.

A little Sunlight dish soap mixed in water and put into a squirt bottle will kill them.

I would poison the bajeepers out of the area. No kidding, commercial poisons are not as bad as you think. I have kids too of about the same age and they don't lick the hearth.

I have been bringing in a small beetle looking critter on the occasional split and I squish them on the spot. I don't buy the theory that dry wood is bug free. I believe that as long as you bring wood into your home that you will be bringing bugs into your home so keep an eye out for the mother logs. More wood at one tim (a freaking 1.5 week stash!) means more bugs at a time.

I have had good luck with Ortho Home Defense Max. It can be used as prevention or as a killer. It says it is safe around pets and children after it dries. I have used it on ants and it kills them in less than a minute. It doesn't leave any residue that I can tell. I think it is about $12 a gallon.
It is supposed to make a barrier to prevent bugs also. That might help around you wood pile.

Had the same problem just last week....we used the traps and they did nothing....My wife bought some regular ant killing spray and we haven't seen one since....kids are okay too....they stay pretty clear of the hearth.

If the log that went in the fire contained the queen (likely), then that colony is a goner. Before long, every last loose ant will die on its own with no intervention from you even necessary.

I would do everything possible to get rid of them. Even though you may not see them, it is amazing how those devils can multiply. I'd go with the dishsoap and chemicals and also throwing the wood back outdoors. If they get established in the house you will be cursing those things for years.

Still, the Aardvark should be considered.

I used the soap and covered around 1-2" path around the wood box, so any ant coming out in that direction would have to walk on it. But, since the back portion of the wood box is against the wall that will have an escape path. I also used Ortho Max and covered the bottom of the wood box along with some of the bottom row of wood. I also am using some of those ant traps and corn meal. Another thing I heard was that they will not cross a chalk line so I made a line marking the entrance to the pantry storage area.

I thought I had gotten rid of them since I didn't see one for almost a week, until Sunday when I seen one on my upstairs window. :shut:

I knew they would be coming upstairs since my 4 year old and 2 year old loves to eat out in the living room, and since they know better then Daddy or Mommy they will never spill, or at least that what my 4 year old keeps arguing with me over everytime she grabs her food and heads out there. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.