Brown 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I think BrotherBart and Hiram Maxim have done this. Any chance I can get some better pics of these stoves in brown?

The color is Stove Bright Golden Fire Brown which was the factory paint on my Sierra insert. Appears to be the same thing Harman uses. Hiram used a lighter color I believe. I left the door and legs black. Just has a richer look for me.

Edit: It is a darker, warmer color than the flash on the camera gives.

Attachments

• 30 first fire.jpg
    30 first fire.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 391
BrotherBart said:
The color is Stove Bright Golden Fire Brown which was the factory paint on my Sierra insert. Appears to be the same thing Harman uses. Hiram used a lighter color I believe. I left the door and legs black. Just has a richer look for me.

Hmm...

Right now I am leaning towards the 30 to replace the Vigilant as I will not make the deadline to get the Woodstock PH for the lower price. And paying $3600 for a wood stove is not in my immediate future.

Love the brown and the short legs. Have one sitting in storage that was supposed to get installed this summer in a large shop/woodworking area, but life threw a few curve balls. Still have the stove, just looking for the place to house it.

I cooked the oils off outside and then did five coats and wipe downs with a cookoff fire at coat three and four. Six seasons and the paint still looks the same and looks like it was born on there.

kingquad said:
Love the brown and the short legs. Have one sitting in storage that was supposed to get installed this summer in a large shop/woodworking area, but life threw a few curve balls. Still have the stove, just looking for the place to house it.

Let me know if you decide to sell it. I'd probably be interested. Seriously.

I need Maxim to chime in with what color he used.

BrowningBAR said:
Right now I am leaning towards the 30 to replace the Vigilant as I will not make the deadline to get the Woodstock PH for the lower price. And paying $3600 for a wood stove is not in my immediate future.

I don't have $3,600 total in all of the stoves in my sig line. All purchased brand new on the pallets. And that new Woodstock wouldn't fit on my hearth anyway. Even if it didn't break the front of the cantilever concrete in the basement and give me that nightmare I have every once in a while of six hundred pounds full of burning wood dropping into my basement.

Which I had sometimes with the old 650 pound insert. At least half of it was back in the fireplace. Like the 30 is.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

I don't have $3,600 total in all of the stoves in my sig line. All purchased brand new on the pallets. And that new Woodstock wouldn't fit on my hearth anyway. Even if it didn't break the front of the cantilever concrete in the basement and give me that nightmare I have every once in a while of six hundred pounds full of burning wood dropping into my basement.

Which I had sometimes with the old 650 insert. At least half of it was back in the fireplace. Like the 30 is.

The issue is that the Woodstock stove would provide me with exactly what I want; A stove I can burn at a lower temp and maintain really long fires.

The 30 will work, but to get the maximum burn time out of it I would have to fill it and that would mean high stove temps which isn't needed. It just seems like I would be wasting wood on heat that would be better spent on prolonged burn times. (keep in mind, the burn times are important due to burning three stoves)

I understand. I would love to have all of the bragged about stuff from a stove like that. It just ain't gonna happen. Freakin side load door is the biggest problem.

Happy for people that do it.

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

Which I had sometimes with the old 650 insert. At least half of it was back in the fireplace. Like the 30 is.

The issue is that the Woodstock stove would provide me with exactly what I want; A stove I can burn at a lower temp and maintain really long fires.

The 30 will work, but to get the maximum burn time out of it I would have to fill it and that would mean high stove temps which isn't needed. It just seems like I would be wasting wood on heat that would be better spent on prolonged burn times. (keep in mind, the burn times are important due to burning three stoves)
Used Buck 91 might work for you. 8 inch flue liner sucks though. One seems to show up around here every few months or so. Hiram's 30 is metallic brown according to his sig.
Edit:around here means around my place in western pa. Think there was one in wheeling, wv for sale last month.

BrotherBart said:
I understand. I would love to have all of the bragged about stuff from a stove like that. It just ain't gonna happen. Freakin side load door is the biggest problem.

Either way, a t-shirt is in my future unless I luck into another solution.

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

Either way, a t-shirt is in my future unless I luck into another solution.

Just a fact that if you are looking for a butt load of heat with a stove at 250 to 300 twelve hours or more with later with good hardwood it just can not be beat. I don't care how much you pay for a non-cat stove. I don't doubt people burning three pieces of pine in their cat stove for a week but I just know the one's I own and burn in.

And what the heck, everybody knows it doesn't get cold in Virginia anyway. Or rain.

BrotherBart said:
...everybody knows it doesn't get cold in Virginia anyway. Or rain.

I know better. :coolsmirk:

kingquad said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

Used Buck 91 might work for you. 8 inch flue liner sucks though. One seems to show up around here every few months or so. Hiram's 30 is metallic brown according to his sig.
Edit:around here means around my place in western pa. Think there was one in wheeling, wv for sale last month.

Can't do the 8" liner. I'm done installing liners.

Also, I believe the Buck 91 is over two grand. If I am going that far I might as well go all the way to $3,600.

Right now, the 30 is winning the race unless I find a used Defiant that I can change over to a 2-in-1 stove. Doubtful though.

BrotherBart said:

Bart, I really like that. Gives er' a much richer look. Looks like a change might be in order for mine next spring. What type of paint did you use?

BrotherBart said:
I left the door and legs black. Just has a richer look for me.

That is one good lookin steel box.

You did a nice job BB...I like the "accent" black parts with the brown...very tasteful....
I bet somewhere, someone has painted their stove purple or some other crazy color and they think it's the chit
:lol: :lol: :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
You did a nice job BB...I like the "accent" black parts with the brown...very tasteful....
I bet somewhere, someone has painted their stove purple or some other crazy color and they think it's the chit
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, very classy.

pen

I love the custom paint, adds flare. Can anyone order from stove bright? Otherwise i wonder if i can order a can from a hardware store who carries it.

My wife thinks im nuts, i want to get their scarlet red to paint the jotul flame on the door...i know weird but id like it. I took the original black knobs and sanded and stained to make it more classy and not something that looked like over spray. I will have to get pictures. Said project is close to being done.

BrotherBart said:
I cooked the oils off outside and then did five coats and wipe downs with a cookoff fire at coat three and four. Six seasons and the paint still looks the same and looks like it was born on there.

How many cans did it take? Wife thinks it looks fine in black, but she hasn't seen pictures of yours and Hiram's.
By the way, I believe his is Honey-Glo Brown.

jeff_t said:
BrotherBart said:

How many cans did it take? Wife thinks it looks fine in black, but she hasn't seen pictures of yours and Hiram's.

I'm leaning towards Hiram's color right now. Just can't tell how it looks as his entire room has a brownish tint to it.

jeff_t said:
BrotherBart said:

I used two cans.

BrowningBAR said:
I'm leaning towards Hiram's color right now. Just can't tell how it looks as his entire room has a brownish tint to it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either shade of brown....both look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.