Brown ashes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsucka

Dec 4, 2010
Potomac, Maryland
I recently moved into this house, and am in my first year of burning here, burning whatever I can scrounge. Most of it is cherry I got from one of my neighbors, but I've got a little of a bunch of assorted other stuff also-- dogwood, juniper (aka "virginia ceder"), yellow poplar, yellow pine, ash, and some other stuff that I can't identify. Anyway, after my last load had burned down, one of the splits left a pile of brown ashes. I've never seen this before... they're pretty much always some shade of gray in my experience. Anybody have any idea what could cause this, or am I crazy for thinking ashes are typically gray? Just curious...

I've had that to but never really wondered until I saw your post , interesting to see what the pros say !

Plants aren't picky about what they suck up with their water. This is what makes them useful in cleaning up toxic sites. Harvest the plants and you've removed toxins from the area. Yours sucked up something that turned the ash brown.

Ha ha, thanks for the reply. Now I picture my insert getting cordoned off as a super-fund site. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.