1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Brown Porcelain/Enamel Stove Options

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mking7, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mking7

mking7 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    West, TX
    If you guys are getting sick of my question I apologize. We are getting close to pulling the trigger on a new stove. The one thing we want is a brown stove. I really think the Jotul Oslo is the perfect stove for me and I don't want another VC. I see the Alderlea T5 Classic comes in brown as well.

The side load worries me a bit in my stove location (will include a pic below). Everyone seems to complain about the ash dropping out of the Oslo if you use the front doors but I may have to just deal with that.

Anyway, any other options in brown? We want something 'classic' looking if that makes sense. Rustic maybe. Not a PE or soapstone stove look.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HomeBruin

HomeBruin New Member

Loc:
    Califon, NJ
    PE makes the T5, which is absolutely beautiful in brown enamel. I nearly bought the PE T5 Alderlea insert like that until I found a dealer selling their Hampton HI300 in brown at about 800 bucks cheaper. That's not even including labor.
  3. mking7

mking7 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    West, TX
    Ya we both like the T5. I don't know much about it. The Encore heats fine for us but I wouldn't want to go any smaller. And I want as simple/bulletproof as possible.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Honestly . . . I love my Oslo . . . but if I had to only load through the front it would drive me nuts. Personally, in this case I would look at other options since it may not seem like a big deal now, but when you're constantly having to sweep up ash or deal with hot coals on the ash lip you may very well wish you had looked at other makes/models . . . and this from a guy who really loves his Oslo.
  5. mking7

mking7 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    West, TX
    Thanks for the honest advice. I wish the F55 or the Rangeley came in brown.....
  6. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Ours is brown, love it

[​IMG]
  7. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Well, theres the Lopi Cape Cod and the Leyden, neither of which is simple or bullet proof for that matter. The Hearthstone Bennington and the Manchester. I think Jotul is gonna be as simple and as bullet proof as you can get. Their Majolica Brown is simply the finest finish I have seen. The ash spillage out of the front didn't bother me, it's a woodstove and it's gonna be messy. Just keep a little broom and pan near by for clean up, no sweat. You can't go wrong with Jotul.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Alderlea T5 is definitely simple and bullet proof. But there are other options including the new Hearthstone Manchester which is a good looker if you want a bigger stove.
  9. nellraq

nellraq Member

Loc:
    Coldstream, BC, Canada
    Absolutely Jake - you've got this right. I think I've opened the front door on my Oslo once in 3 years...and it was once too many!!
  10. Jagtec1

Jagtec1 Member

Loc:
    PA
    We have a brown Lopi Leyden. It is new for us this year, and thus far has been fairly easy to burn. I haven't turned on our heat yet in our 2300 SF home, and I have yet to pack in a tight full load. No real complaints yet...doors needed to be adjusted a bit, but nothing major.
  11. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Here's the Hearthstone in brown:
    http://chimneysweeponline.com/bigmanchesterbrn.htm

If the Manchester is too big, it's lil' brother is also available in brown (and basil green!)
    http://chimneysweeponline.com/slideshows/hsshel/jclicker/template/index.html

+1 for side loading being where it's at!

It looks like you could easily bring the stove forward a bit to facilitate side loading, but there are different priorities in every install. If y'all are stuck front loading, I'd go with the T5/T6. It's firebox is square-ish, which allows loading to be done "north-south" or end-wise from the front. The Oslo does have its ash spillage issue, but the general enthusiasm for side loading is about putting the logs in end-wise, like sliding crayons into a box, which rules in about every possible way(except, perhaps, burn time) over loading wood, um, side-wise, generally referred to as "east-west" loading through a front door.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/loading-n-s-rather-than-e-w.45189/
  12. leeave96

leeave96 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
    I think the PE Alderlea T5 is a very nice stove. I think Brother Bart painted his Englander 30 brown if that's an option.

Good luck,
    Bill