1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Brown Rats

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Vic99, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell
    Thought I had a mouse problem. I've had a visual and its a Noway rat (brown rat).

Last week I tightened up to restrict food supply (thought it was mice then). Unnscrewed floor under the kitchen sink and cleaned out a rat luxury suite. Blocked up all entrances I could find with spray foam.

Today the cat drew blood, but he got away. Had another sighting two hours later. Dog almost got him, but failed.

Been sick with flu and today is the day to finally get him. Plan is to do another clean out. Use steel wool instead of spray foam to block holes and set more traps than I think I need since I only know of one, but obviously there could be more. Will trap areas I think he's going plus basement.

Any advice on type of trap or other method is appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Snap traps (rat size) are good, as is the Rat Zapper. It's a little pricey, but I've had good results with mice and chipmunks.
    http://www.ratmousezapper.com/
  3. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Use a variety of traps and change the locations. You must be very aggressive. If you have any indication of more than one rat ( if you catch 2 or catch one and hear noises or find sign), you need to assume they're breeding. After you stop catching them in traps, put out some poison but tie it down, they will move it into your couch, closet etc.. I killed 8 with Tom Cat after I was sure they were all trapped.

Ehouse
  4. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    RatZapper is worth the $ IMHO... we had an influx of Florida fruit rats that the Zapper cleaned out entirely.
  5. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    +1 on the zapper!
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  7. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I've killed many a mouse, basement chipmunks, and attic squirrels with the Rat Zapper. Thing works quite well, though animals like chipmunks wise up pretty quickly. If only it would empty itself and keep killing them. Definitely need to combo them with snap traps, pellet gun, and even poison.
  8. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    also, this time of year, sprinkle some crushed up styrofoam or insualtion around the trap. Sometimes rats are pretty leery of them, but will never turn down free nesting materials.
  9. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Caution. Do not place Zapper where small children or pets can get at it. I accidently touched the inside plate while rearranging the bait....just about knocked me right on my frickin' arse! much more kick than livestock fence. Hard to believe those small batts can do that.
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I tried trapping a rat at work for months using peanut butter, finally used raw, marinated chicken and got him the first night!
  11. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Man, I've seen some big rats. I think I'd set some Coni 110s along with the rat traps. Maybe a 1.5 foothold would be fun to try.

I haven't tried it against Norway rats, but peanut butter and bacon bits works well on mice and I've crimped dried corn in rat traps for red squirrels.

Since they are inside I don't think a pellet gun is an option, but it really is satisfying to pick them off.

Matt