Brr.. When did October arrive ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taperbill

Oct 19, 2010
Pine City, MN
North winds..cloudy overcast skies..
I can almost smell the pellets burning..

along with all the house fires on our scanner.
BE safe !

Fired the quad up this morning! All systems go!

i refuse to stop wearing shorts and burn pellets untill the end of october

smilejamaica said:
Well, I agree about the pellets, but wearing shorts outside here in the middle/end of Oct. might be a bit much. :-/

Looked out my window this morning. The dominate color was yellow. Maples and white birch are my view. My driveway is littered with leaves, and the tops of one maple only has a few leaves left. Oaks and beach are still green. My vegetable garden is all but done for the season. The only thing that didn't go along with this picture was that it was 80 F today and way too humid. More like a day in July.
Time to clean out the garage so I can park my car in there. Also want to put getting a tune up for the snow blower on my list.

Fired my quad up today. It was in the 50's and the house in lower 60's. Put some softwood pellets in there... nice and toasty ...burned like a champ.

92 on friday, 88 saturday, 82 sunday, then hello 64 today. refused to burn untill mid October, but my 6 yr old asked me if we could have a stove fire today.

imacman said:
smilejamaica said:
Well, I agree about the pellets, but wearing shorts outside here in the middle/end of Oct. might be a bit much. :-/
ha ha my mail man has shorts on in dec and he walks his entire route

j-takeman said:
Ahhhh, NO! Not just yet. Only stat we are touching is for the AC. Daytime temps still in the 80's!
Pulled out our air conditioning as a precaution for Irene. Then Monday I paid my electric bill which was $40 higher than last month. Air conditioners are NOT going back in this year! Window fans will be about the only thing I'll use for the time being. From the looks of the long range forecast, we won't even need them. Now cool and damp.

save$ said:
j-takeman said:
Ahhhh, NO! Not just yet. Only stat we are touching is for the AC. Daytime temps still in the 80's!
Pulled out our air conditioning as a precaution for Irene. Then Monday I paid my electric bill which was $40 higher than last month. Air conditioners are NOT going back in this year! Window fans will be about the only thing I'll use for the time being. From the looks of the long range forecast, we won't even need them. Now cool and damp.

same here took out 1 of my ac's, left in the little one in the bedroom..
working nights, i have to sleep in the day so i need 1 in the bedroom..
electric bill here went up about 50 bucks also.. but i'm running a pool pump also..
59 and raining here today...almost time to close pool down and think about plugging in the harman....

Well, it started. The Boss started getting on me about being cool and the dampness. If I ignore her, she'll turn the furnace on. Can't have that. We usually don't use the back up of the furnace until Jan and Feb. So I turned the pellet stove on. A couple hours later you could really feel the difference. It had gotten too damp in here. The envelopes were sealed, and the printer paper wasn't moving through the unit as it should. This has to be among the wettest early fall seasons. I hope it isn't an indication of how bad the snow season will be. Last winter was about all the winter I would ever want to deal with.
While I am at it, thank you to whomever suggested using damp rid in the stove during the summer. Did it, and no evidence of rust seen. Thank you.

Just started the stove. Have to try out one those new bags of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.