Brrr

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We live 70 miles south of Denver (not in a Yuppieville) along the front range and I agree, this has been a strange winter AND the media has not come close to covering what you mountain folks are experiencing. I watch the nightly weather reports for the San Luis Valley and they are typically sub -10 at night, at times -20 and lower. Today it is 60 degrees outside, but yet another storm is heading in for the weekend. We are able to keep our Napoleon humming along and the house toasty despite sub zero weather. I feel for ya brother...

MountainStoveGuy said:
this has been a brutal winter for us. the media has coverd the denver weather, but little gets mentioned about us weirdo's that choose to live another mile up from denver. This has been the harshest winter i have ever been in. -20's and 60+ MPH winds, snow blowing so hard that you cant see your hand in front of your face. The plows come through every day and clear out the drifts, but they come right back. You would think that the snow would run out and the drifts would stop but no... theres a endless supply of the white stuff this year. Living in a semi arid desert, in the summer time there are restrictions on water usasge. I dont think thats going to be a problem this year. The yuppies down in boulder valley will get to water there lawns this year.

It's funny how the term "Lake Effect" means different things depending on where you live. When I lived in Oswego, it was what I imagine East Aurora is like. As I recall, it snowed every day for like, a whole month. Out here, maybe a couple of inches that manages to get here from Lake Ontario-no big deal.

Roospike said:
Do you have your pipes wrapped with freeze tape and insulated ? If not then that would fix any freezing pipe problem.

Unfortunately, no. Didn't have this problem last winter (first with pellet only heating by choice) or any year previous when we were oil FA furnace only. Am going to try to wrap as much of the exposed pipe as I can in the next 48 hours. Crawlspace temp is 47 now and there is no huge noticeable draft blowing in anywhere. I probably should have kicked on the oil last night, I just hate using it (Yeah yeah I am a cheap a** when it comes to forking over cash for oil).

PutnamJct said:
Addition to above: The ceiling of my crawlspace has R-13 on it, would I see a huge improvement by going to R-25 or better? Does that partially explain why the floors (all hardwood) are always cold too? I love my weekend warrior house sometimes, the previous Bob Vila wanna be owners did some 1/2 arse improvements for sure......

Glad to hear that you've managed to avert the disaster. You can probably just run the oil furnace in conjuction with the pellet stove so that it comes on 4 or so times a day.

How well are your crawlspace sills sealed? I would be sure that is take care of first. More insulation in the crawlspace ceiling is going to let that area get colder.

From what I can tell, they look to be pretty tight. I guess I need to figure out how to handle this better for next year. I need to figure out how to keep the pipes from freezing, sealing up whatever gaps there are and tightening up in general. As an example, the ceiling of the crawlspace has R-13 between the floor joists, I think this should be R-25 or better? I suspect that there are issues through out the house like this. House never held the heat well.
The house is a split and the crawl space is only under the middle 1/3 of it.

The first third used to be an enclosed porch (now a den and dining room) that was made a real part of the house. I can only access the space under 1/2 of this part, the other 1/2, I suspect is only a foot or so above ground. Don't know what if anything is between the floor and the ground.

The middle third with the crawl space is the living room and kitchen. These 2 sections are the same level, with the water line from the well, the expansion tank and most of the plumbing under here.

The last 1/3 is 2 story, beds and bath upstairs, converted garage downstairs, no basement. has the walk in access to the crawl space. Upstairs bedrooms stay 70 F
Downstairs used primarily for storage, the heat from the pellet stove does not get to the downstairs part and the temp gets down to 50 in here. Last few days let a thermo controlled electric heater work down here when the inside temp dropped below 55.

Did that make any sense? I don't want to waste energy heating an uninhabited part of the house but don't want to be penny wise pound foolish either. When we did the windows a few years ago, we were amazed at how thin the walls were. I figure the windows are probably better insulated then the walls :)

I got's more issues then a newsstand........

John

G-rott, Northwinds is the one planning the new digs, I'm still in the trying to turn this place into what my wife wants phase.

I'm about done with the cold weather; it can warm up any time now. If we were at least getting some snow, I could run the plow and make some extra cash.

I hate to hijack this thread, G-rott, so I'll get the specs for the insulation and put a thread in the Green Room. Appreciate your offer of expertise.

Fired up the snowblower for the first time this winter on Sunday - didn't really NEED to, but figured we ought to test it at least.... Had about 3" that we got Friday night, but we were out all day on Saturday so I let it sit the extra day.

Today it's around 17* and windy, the stove is not doing well, probably keeping the place around 60.

Had to spend a fair bit of time outside, we've been having trouble with the cable TV, and finally got a tech out this afternoon. After replacing all the cable co. wires, and changing to different runs of the cable I put in when I networked the house (Nice to have two cable runs to nearly every jack) plus swapping out the cable box, the tech decided to try running a new drop - She went up the pole, and discovered that the connection between the drop and the pole wiring was way loose. Tightened it up and no more problem...

In the meantime I was having to run around helping to show her where stuff was, how to get into the attic above the garage, etc. Definitely not the best afternoon for it, but it pretty much gave me more proof that I did a good job on the network wiring.

Gooserider

Summit is humming right along tonight. Good thing....here is an excerpt from the local weather forecast for tonight.
"VERY LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED ONCE AGAIN TONIGHT. THIS VERY COLD AIR COMBINED WITH WINDS OF 15 KM/H WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE MINUS 40C TO MINUS 45C RANGE AGAIN TONIGHT".

Notice it says "once again tonight". Been like this for the last 4 days. No end in sight for a few more.

-45 celsius converts to -49F.

Good to hear from you Willhound. You were in my thoughts this morning as I scanned the temperature reports. Have you put on a sweater yet? :)

:) *** LOL *** :)

Stay warm Bro.

The low tonight is supposed to be -10 F in Milwaukee, and from looking at the weather maps, slightly colder where I live. We have the gas furnace going to supplement the wood stove so that it isn't too chilly in the house, so that is a bummer. We don't have the best insulation (it is slumped) and have a couple windows freezing up. We bundled up today to go out to the wood piles and refill the porch with wood. With long underwear, two pairs of pants, long sleeved shirt, 3 sweatshirts (2 hooded), and my dirty lumberjack coat, and a scarf wrapped around my face, and my good Raichle boots on, I managed to avoid feeling cold. Wore sunglasses as well, so kept losing my ability to SEE (they would fog and freeze up.)

I got the Raichle boots from my sister. She bought them for herself at a rummage sale for $25, but they were too tight for her, so she gave them to me. I thought she was dumb to pay that much for boots at a rummage sale. Then one of the first times I wore them (hiking in Colorado) a friend said something about taking care of my boots since they were so expensive. Found out that $25 was a really good deal. Wore them a lot in Dec. when schlepping wood through snow for days, kept my feet dry and not too cold.

Yesterday going to a Superbowl party was the first time I ever heard my car crank a little bit before it started. Would help if someday we could park in our garage, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

That's hilarious! I remember those days. Don't miss them a bit.

looked outside at thermometer outside kitchen window, says 3 degrees, usually its reading 2 or 3 degrees low, anyway , its too cold to play golf so im leaving tomorrow night for myrtle beach for a week , hope its a little warmer there. been planning this trip for several weeks , was hoping would be in 40's here meaning 60's there, may not be that warm <sigh> but gotta be better than here. be outta the net til the 13th.

It's a balmy 0* right now and snowing. Only expecting a couple of inches, but with the cold that's enough.

MountainStoveGuy said:
today its 42* wooooo hooooooo

I know , HEAT WAVE ! me too. 42°

One day of this and then back down in the teens and singles again for the next week or two.

15F in Villanova.

boo.

It has me thinking about sticking that Aspen into our prefab fireplace and making a block off plate.

I didn't get up until eight o'clock and it was up to eight degrees here.

MountainStoveGuy said:
today its 42* wooooo hooooooo

Time to dig out the grill, throw on some shorts and grab a cold one!

heck yea, i was shovelig snow this morning in shorts and short sleaves. My grill goes all year around anyway.. :)

Mine goes all year also, I just figured with the 27.3 feet of snow you have had this year yours may have disappeared!

Status
Not open for further replies.