Brrr!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
north of 60, I've got a brother in law who says anybody who lives above the 45th parallel suffers from permanent brain freeze. After living this far north for over 5 years, I'm starting to believe him. :lol:
I have no idea what happens to you guys way up in the far reaches of upper super duper Coldanada. :ahhh:
Sorry Jake, but snow WITH the cold doesn't help. It just means I get to freeze my arse off while plowing. My wife thinks I go out there to play with my tractor. Next snow may be her turn. :coolgrin:

. . . but snow with the cold helps insulate the ground, plants and home . . . plus it helps some of the animals . . . not to mention folks who have businesses related to snow (snow plowing, skiing, snowmobile shops, etc.)

Hey Todd,
As always I'm enjoying your threads. -12 is cold, as cold as it gets around here. We have not seen it this year, the lowest it has been is near 0°. We had an unusual October Nor'easter that dumped 22" on my town and 36" just west of us. 700,000+ left without power for days, some for weeks. We've only seen a few inches at a time since then. We had some pretty cold days early last week, my little pellet burner was struggling to keep up. House is 1600sq ft, stove heats 1600 sq ft! As we all know the ratings are for average conditions. We've only burned just over a ton though, pretty lucky so far this year. Only spent about $250 to heat this place on pellets so far this year. How are you doing with the wood consumption?

Attachments

• IMG_20120118_101058-1.jpg
    IMG_20120118_101058-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 230
VCBurner said:
Hey Todd,
As always I'm enjoying your threads. -12 is cold, as cold as it gets around here. We have not seen it this year, the lowest it has been is near 0°. We had an unusual October Nor'easter that dumped 22" on my town and 36" just west of us. 700,000+ left without power for days, some for weeks. We've only seen a few inches at a time since then. We had some pretty cold days early last week, my little pellet burner was struggling to keep up. House is 1600sq ft, stove heats 1600 sq ft! As we all know the ratings are for average conditions. We've only burned just over a ton though, pretty lucky so far this year. Only spent about $250 to heat this place on pellets so far this year. How are you doing with the wood consumption?

That's a nice looking pellet burner you have there. Sometimes I wish I had one to try out but when I take a gander over to the pellet forum and see the price of pellets that feeling goes away.

So far this year I've only burned a little over 1 cord since it's been so mild. Last year I was over a 1 1/2 cords and I usually go through 3 per year.

6 here now with light winds. I got up late and the smoke dragon was down to a few red coals. 66 in the house when I got up which is 1800 sq ft. Couple of large splits and a piece of slab wood and its now 73 inside. Been burning two year old split Pin Oak and four year old Maple slab wood.

Guess What ?. Winter is here.

VCBurner where is your stoves exhaust pipe at ?.

firefighterjake said:
. . . but snow with the cold helps insulate the ground, plants and home . . . plus it helps some of the animals . . . not to mention folks who have businesses related to snow (snow plowing, skiing, snowmobile shops, etc.)

+1.

Some animals who live in that zone under the snow but above the ground couldn't survive without it. No snowpack could mean drought in the Spring and that's bad for everything.

Going to move this over to the inglenook.

pen

PapaDave said:
I have no idea what happens to you guys way up in the far reaches of upper super duper Coldanada. :ahhh:
I'm nowhere near the upper reaches, just North of the 49th. When Americans ask me what it's like, I say it's OK once we get the igloo built.

My house has more windows than BeGreen's. When we were working on the design, the wife kept making them bigger and I kept shrinking them down. I never did get my way.

LLigetfa said:
PapaDave said:
I'm nowhere near the upper reaches, just North of the 49th. When Americans ask me what it's like, I say it's OK once we get the igloo built.

My house has more windows than BeGreen's. When we were working on the design, the wife kept making them bigger and I kept shrinking them down. I never did get my way.

Which is wise of you . . . and why you are a happily married man. ;) :)

HighHeat22 said:
VCBurner where is your stoves exhaust pipe at ?.
The stove is rear vented through two walls. 42" going from back of the stove, through one wall thimble, a closet under the stairs, then through the exterior wall thimble. Once outside, it takes a 90° and goes vertical 4' into a termination cap.

PapaDave said:
north of 60, I've got a brother in law who says anybody who lives above the 45th parallel suffers from permanent brain freeze. After living this far north for over 5 years, I'm starting to believe him. :lol:
Sorry Jake, but snow WITH the cold doesn't help. It just means I get to freeze my arse off while plowing. My wife thinks I go out there to play with my tractor. Next snow may be her turn. :coolgrin:

More than a brain freeze the other day.
Keep warm you guys.

Attachments

• cold january.jpg
    cold january.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 135
Pagey said:
I struggle to heat the house when it's in the low 20's and teens. I can't imagine -12.

Pagey, would you take this to another thread and tell us more (maybe in the big board) (or threadjack if the mods sleep late on Saturday morning). This seems fixable.

Our house is 2000sf, and we have 8 windows that are 4x4 or larger. I am burning spruce and birch in a mid-size parlor stove, sole source of heat.
After a several-week snap of -20 and colder, it's warmed up here (warmer in the hills) all the way to a luxurious zero F. It's 75 downstairs, where the stove is located, and 70 upstairs, and our stove is just cruising, not cranking. My son walks around the house complaining that it's chilly, and I tell him that's yet another reason to wear something in addition to boxers, thank you very much. This is not, sadly, due to innate brilliance on my part, ergo, most people ought to be able to get similar results. You're not, and you should be warm. Let us help. It's our pathetic idea of a good time.

Yikers north of 60! I had to reset and google check my Celsius calcs, but that is Antarctic cold! I didn't think anything but underground houses were designed for those temps.

PapaDave said:

Tell your BIL that for some of us, it's not just an address, it's a diagnosis . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.