brrrr - Progress couldn't keep up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep temps like these usually call for two stoves to keep the home toasty.-4 the other night and my two stoves had my wife and mother in law sleeping on top of their covers.

Yep temps like these usually call for two stoves to keep the home toasty.-4 the other night and my two stoves had my wife and mother in law sleeping on top of their covers.
Heh. At -15 last night, I slept on the floor in front of the stove. I like a cold bedroom, but it was really nice having the heat, and when the burn cycle was winding down and the temps dropped, it woke me up so I could reload and stop the $$-burner in the basement from coming on.

On the other hand, whatever makes the MIL happy is worth doing.

Reactions: Ashful
I can hit 600/650 with no problem. On a reload, the side loading door stays cracked open about five minutes or so. The air control stays full open for up to twenty minutes, then half way for another twenty. After that it's fully closed or slightly cracked. In three hours or so stove top temp has dropped down close to 300 deg. This old farmhouse is almost 100 years old and over 3000 sq. ft. two story. new windows and insulation/vinyl siding installed in mid 1980's but still drafty. I think the F600 is doing well. It just isn't up to all the cold air sucking the heat away.
Your house has an almost immeasurably small effect on stove-top temperature. There is something wrong with your rig or your technique, if a loaded Firelight can't be kept well above 300F just 3 hours after loading. My old Firelight 12 has less firebox space than your Firelight 600, and I can hold 500F for probably twice that long. I can usually hold 300F for 11 hours or more, and I'm only burning Walnut, since my Oak is not yet seasoned. One of my Firelights is heating 4000 sq.ft. of 1770's construction, the other is heating 1800 sq.ft. of 1890's and 1990's additions.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaDave
A bold statement. Got direct evidence, or just the usual supposition? Perhaps you should reserve unsupported opinions like this for the Ash Can.

To the OP, all you can do is keep your stove top near the max allowable temp, for as much of the day as you can. This means watching it, and adjusting your air control throughout the burn cycle. At some point, your losses will outstrip the BTU/hr capacity of your stove, and you'll have to kick on the boiler. If just an occasional occurrence, then rest assured you have chosen the proper stove.

I would not run the stove with the cat bypassed. You should be able to reach your max allowable stovetop temp with dry wood and the cat engaged. If not, your wood is wet, or your draft is exceedingly poor. Leaving the stove in bypass just sends more heat up the chimney and increases likelihood of overfire.

Sorry must reply...http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/weather-climate/temperature.html

Off topic...but had to.

tion
Your house has an almost immeasurably small effect on stove-top temperature. There is something wrong with your rig or your technique, if a loaded Firelight can't be kept well above 300F just 3 hours after loading. My old Firelight 12 has less firebox space than your Firelight 600, and I can hold 500F for probably twice that long. I can usually hold 300F for 11 hours or more, and I'm only burning Walnut, since my Oak is not yet seasoned. One of my Firelights is heating 4000 sq.ft. of 1770's construction, the other is heating 1800 sq.ft. of 1890's and 1990's additions.

They don't call me Stubborn Dutchman for no reason, but you've got my attention. I sure thought I was doing everything right. But again yesterday the stove top measured well under three hundred degrees after less than five hours. At that time there was a strong bed of coals an inch or more higher than the bottom of the door opening. I'm burning year old ash and cherry with a little oak mixed in. All read less than 20% on a MM purchased at lowes or Menards. Temps are read with a HF IR gun. I should add that I take readings at the right front and right rear outside corners per the Jotul manual, never at the center of the top plate. Room temp was down close to 70 degrees. I had good strong flames during that restart and nice lazy flames when the air was completely shut down so I don't think I have any air leaks in the fire box. I thought I was doing everything you guys stress be done. ???? BTW: splits are mixed in size and run about 18" to 22" long and loaded close to the baffles re height. What else can I add to give you to identify the issue(s)?

Thanks,

Don

Heh. At -15 last night, I slept on the floor in front of the stove. I like a cold bedroom, but it was really nice having the heat, and when the burn cycle was winding down and the temps dropped, it woke me up so I could reload and stop the $$-burner in the basement from coming on.
Man I don't know how you survive in Vermont with just the Heritage and those temps.Both my stoves are much larger than yours and that's what it takes to stay toasty in my neck of the woods in Eastern Ma.A hearthstone "one" or Equinox is what I'd have to have if I was in Vermont.My "One" produces so much heat that the cellar is like a sauna.It's a heck of a machine.There'll be no sleeping on the floor in front of this stove.It'll turn you into a puddle.

Last edited:
hearthstone one never heard before I purchased the progress I did not exhaustively search the universe like many of yous.. Since I added another 4 ft joint to chimney I now can crack door and hear the inrush of air way more than the 2ft past the peak setup which had to be pre heated to start now none of that .. but still no 600 deg stove top nooo siree .. 400 maybe .. and that's with over 50 pounds of wood in stove or close to it.. ive no hissing and W M meter either .. so I fig im close to dry enough? ive no rigorous wood gathering /drying/seasoning routine as the stove is new here . ive been buying wood (what fun) that buis shiets in this area .. now that 350-400 will heat my 1600 sq ft open mfgd home.. but by others comments it should be running my wifey outta da house.. I put the stove on her side of the wall of the two dens ..

cat flushing.jpg

Reactions: tom dee
Status
Not open for further replies.