Brrrrrr, Hope You're Prepped ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
haven't done it personally but there are a few "camps" up here that have heated driveways, one i know has had it in for at least 10 years

Many around here have heated outside walks, but they're electric, not hydronic.

I've been fairly lucky here in Maryland. Only a few really cold nights so far ( in the teens ). Currently at 40 and the Madison isn't having to work all that hard to keep my first floor at 75 :)

On those really cold nights though, I've had to keep the flue open and use the blower. Thank goodness we don't get down below zero often here! Unfortunately I have more splitting to do ugh [emoji12]

3a71c1b66b105bda824f405be8a8c39a.jpg

0e4be28dcd79119a60f1b3ebc9aaac3b.jpg

1647814220383f681f5788e62b5f2132.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Looks like you're in the city, Wayne. How do you split (quietly)?

Reactions: WayneN
Looks like you're in the city, Wayne. How do you split (quietly)?
The log splitter isn't any louder than a standard lawnmower. 22 ton. I borrow my coworkers :)

Also I'm the end house and have nothing but a ball field / water across the street. The single houses on the water sit back far enough that it doesn't bother them.

I also only split for a couple hours at a time. My son loves karate chopping the wood ( as he calls it ) lol. Works out great!

e64d98961d7f77f046eed665ca8c0592.jpg

160e73a09e7220e3a93c22a8907a291a.jpg

Looks like you got where I was going with that question. A lawnmower may run less than 30 minutes on a city lot, but log splitting sessions usually last hours and hours. Didn't know if you were an axe splitter or hydraulic guy.

On the water? Nice!

Looks like you got where I was going with that question. A lawnmower may run less than 30 minutes on a city lot, but log splitting sessions usually last hours and hours. Didn't know if you were an axe splitter or hydraulic guy.

On the water? Nice!
I do split by hand as well :) I make sure to use the splitter during normal work hours so I don't interrupt sleep. I know my neighbors schedule lol.

Since we're talking about splitters, anyone have any thoughts on electric splitters? Do they work well? Prone to failure/breakdown? I wonder if you have to have a dedicated circuit for them. Don't need one now, but as I get older it might be a consideration.

Since we're talking about splitters, anyone have any thoughts on electric splitters? Do they work well? Prone to failure/breakdown? I wonder if you have to have a dedicated circuit for them. Don't need one now, but as I get older it might be a consideration.

Yes, many here use them, some even for their primary splitting. But rather than divert this thread, please search out one of the existing threads on them, or start a new thread. Feel free to drop a link to the new thread in here, so interested folks can follow over.

Back on topic, it got warm here! Unfortunately, you can't stop a stove once started. Here's my family room, 26 hours after last reload, it peaked at 80F.

b063aea191a6132126290348ad598755.jpg

I've been fairly lucky here in Maryland. Only a few really cold nights so far ( in the teens ). Currently at 40 and the Madison isn't having to work all that hard to keep my first floor at 75 :)

On those really cold nights though, I've had to keep the flue open and use the blower. Thank goodness we don't get down below zero often here! Unfortunately I have more splitting to do ugh [emoji12]

I'm a born and raised Marylander and moved to Va 4 years ago, miss it and don't at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, many here use them, some even for their primary splitting. But rather than divert this thread, please search out one of the existing threads on them, or start a new thread. Feel free to drop a link to the new thread in here, so interested folks can follow over.

Back on topic, it got warm here! Unfortunately, you can't stop a stove once started. Here's my family room, 26 hours after last reload, it peaked at 80F.

View attachment 191411

Lol. I now rely heavily on the 24 hour forecast to help me decide how I'm going to run the stove. I've gotten into that situation a couple times. Easily done with a BK and the kind of weather we've been having.

Lol. I now rely heavily on the 24 hour forecast to help me decide how I'm going to run the stove. I've gotten into that situation a couple times. Easily done with a BK and the kind of weather we've been having.
I try to do the same, but there are a few factors that foil me from time to time. First, if we're having guests and the wife is cooking, that part of the house will usually get warmer than I expect. I guess our kitchen oven throws some serious heat. Second, our weather forecast is so often wrong on sun and cloud, and that room is damn near all glass, so sun makes a huge difference in how much heat I need. They've been wrong on that twice this week already, calling for sun when it rained and rain when it was sunny, less than 15 hours ahead.

Reactions: tarzan
I try to do the same, but there are a few factors that foil me from time to time. First, if we're having guests and the wife is cooking, that part of the house will usually get warmer than I expect. I guess our kitchen oven throws some serious heat. Second, our weather forecast is so often wrong on sun and cloud, and that room is damn near all glass, so sun makes a huge difference in how much heat I need. They've been wrong on that twice this week already, calling for sun when it rained and rain when it was sunny, less than 15 hours ahead.
Welp........ if it gets too hot.....I just open a window. Better to over compensate with heat than under compensate. Takes too long to heat the house up vs just cracking windows.

right now we are at the mid thirties and the house has not been below 74. Yesterday it got up to 38 but was very sunny most of the house was at 80 a little to much. The furnace has been turned off for about a week, I have only used about a quarter tank of oil so far this heating season. We do have some cold weather coming in towards the end of next week but that could always change, plus it is almost January. Even the two far bedrooms have been staying between 68 to 71 if you keep the doors open.

Welp........ if it gets too hot.....I just open a window. Better to over compensate with heat than under compensate. Takes too long to heat the house up vs just cracking windows.

Lol... that photo was with two windows open over four hours!

Freezing here. Overnight down to about -25c which is -13f. Sure glad to have added the insert this year.

Stay warm everyone!

It's been one load a day for the last few days. The stove is cold, glass has been cleaned, ash pan dumped but now it's time to fire up, and get a few loads of wood in here; Wind is picking up and temps will be falling off, with several nights in the low teens forecast. :oops:
OK, top-down mojo workin' and the hoop is loaded for bear...White Oak, BL and a little Cherry. >>
P1030709.JPG

Last edited:
looks like we will go from the 40s today to mid 50s tomorrow, then have highs in the 30s till Tuesday, ready to get the stove going at full tilt

Same here going from 50 to nights in the single digits, for a few days. They are talking about next Tuesday being 40 but the stoves will work a little here for a few days. That ok it is January.

I wish it would snow tho :). Where not getting sub cold weather either, but did get a lil snow so far but most of it has melted.

Wood piles just keep growing and growing. On my block im the only one the burns but a couole blocks away the whole neighborhood burns. Wonder if anyone is on here?

Our snow has melted too for the most part. But that depends on location. This is at a friend's place about 80 miles north.

Snow-2017-01.net.jpg

Reactions: Niko
image.jpeg
Our snow has melted too for the most part. But that depends on location. This is at a friend's place about 80 miles north.

View attachment 191860

Holy crap lol! Well its raining now, cold weather and rain just plain sucks. Sorry for the crappy picture just got home from work and took it inside my porch

Wood piles just keep growing and growing. On my block im the only one the burns but a couole blocks away the whole neighborhood burns. Wonder if anyone is on here?
Are the neighbors complaining yet about how you are depressing home values in the 'hood, with your hillbilly piles of wood everywhere? ;)
Have you been over to the wood-burning neighborhood yet to pass out flyers extolling the virtues of BK stoves? ;) ;lol

Snow doesn't melt in these parts,.....till March.

Mild for us is seeing above freezing for daytime highs, but it's far from mild this week we'll warm up to about -10c today.

Reactions: Woody Stover