Brrrrrrrr.....then.....Ahhhhhh!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Woke this morning to a living room hovering at 59 degrees. Brrrrr.

Fired up the M-55 and 15 minutes later. Ahhhhhh!!!

Took about another hour for the whole house to equalize without the circ fan running.

Had 2-1/2 bags left over from previous stash.

1 Bag original Okanagans (White bag/Pine Tree) Holding onto it for sentimental reasons
1 Bag Hardwood Heat. Given to me by OMV a couple of years ago when I went out to see (er I mean Scout) his stash.

And 1 swollen bag of MWP (from TSC last year) that somehow got damp over the summer. Only about 25% of it was still dry. I hand sifted it into the hopper this morning.What was salvageable is burning now just fine.

So now on the lookout for Pellets in Southeast Mass.
Like to get 1 ton of Shoulder
And 3 tons of Good stuff for the deep cold.
Can't buy them all at once as the checkbook has too many zeros in front of the digits instead of behind them. lol

2013-14 Heating Season has officially begun on Cape Cod.

----Nailer----

Reactions: oldmountvernon
i did my first full clean last weekend , but hadn't replaced the faulty door gasket yet . came home and wife was complaining about the cold so door gasket afternoon it was :)

blazing away now . damn i've missed it .

and damn that door gasket cement is a major pita to remove . wound up using my die grinder with a cut-off wheel .

also learned from what i found , forget about the notion of an annual clean out . i burned about 2 1/2 tons last year and my T was filled well up past the opening for the stove exhaust . !!!

Nailer, I'd figure you'd be one of the last fella's posting you fired early. I'm still holding out, But it was also pretty close. Wifey said "suck it up and put on a sweater, You just wanna play with the stove!" ;em

They don't do spring deals out your way? Keep us posted on what you find, Hopefully you find sometin good for a bargin!

Hey, I'll admit it....I fired the stove today as a test burn so I know everything is hunky-dory. 1/2 bag of last years Set's burning on low...it's going into the 30's here tonight.

Jay, I tried to hold out....I really did.

But I have not dug out the long pants yet and the summer shorts and t shirt were a tad cool this AM.
Plus, I had the whole day off and I was damned if I was gonna sit in a cold living room playing Call Of Duty Black Ops II with a chill, :)

Er.....and.....ahh....I had to "test fire" the stove just to make sure it was all set for those cold winter months coming up......yeah that's it!!!
My story and I'm sticking too it!!

Besides....is 12 hours too long to consider for a test burn?

---Nailer---

Reactions: jtakeman
SO thats how you get by it, Its a test fire! Hmmm, Lemme see if that'l work. Gotta find my helmet first! ;em

Last edited:
I like that term..."test burn" Imacman ==c , but I'm with you J....holding out. I cooked something in the oven tonight and that warmed things up bit. Don't even have a blanket at the moment so I'm waiting......need to take the plunge on some cheaper pellets for the late fall, early winter.

I had a wife and kid come home from football practice chilled so i mixed some green supremes and some FUs to make a good enough burn and here we go.

Going down to 40 tonight so the t stat is set.

I like that term..."test burn" Imacman ==c , but I'm with you J....holding out. I cooked something in the oven tonight and that warmed things up bit. Don't even have a blanket at the moment so I'm waiting......need to take the plunge on some cheaper pellets for the late fall, early winter.

Just scored some Premier Appalachians from TSC in Bark. I got the last 30 bags they had(so the kid says). Might have a ton out in the stacks if ya go digging,

I talked to the manager at HD and he said many folkes weren't happy and didn't buy the GS. He's diggin for something else. Maybe the HDX brand(should be hamers in our area). I told him PTL's would be a good choice too.

Just scored some Premier Appalachians from TSC in Bark. I got the last 30 bags they had(so the kid says). Might have a ton out in the stacks if ya go digging, I talked to the manager at HD and he said many folkes weren't happy and didn't buy the GS. He's diggin for something else. Maybe the HDX brand(should be hamers in our area). I told him PTL's would be a good choice too.

Thanks for the tips....I'll see if I can find some bags of the Appallacians at TSC...otherwise wait on HD...hamers or PTL's would be great! If I must I'll pick up some MWP's at TSC to get me by (although the price is a litte high)

last weekend all that was at both HD and Lowes up in Salem/Danvers was Hearthsides . will be interesting to see what comes . lowes had hearthsides last year , but to see them at HD was kinda funny .

we'll see .

What the heck is this??? Confession??

I fired mine last night too.......

Reactions: whlago and jtakeman
that door gasket cement is a major pita to remove . wound up using my die grinder with a cut-off wheel .

My dealer offered to do mine for $20. No brainer for me.

My dealer offered to do mine for $20. No brainer for me.

that's why i haven't moved up to maine . can't live on $10/hr . actually less . it took me over 2 hrs to remove that old stuff .

my die grinder removed metal quicker than that cement . directions said it needed clean metal to bond to :rolleyes:

Roast something in the oven, bake bread, pies, anything but fire up the stove. Do some serious canning. Run 10 miles. Come on folks you are acting like little old ladies and wimping out early.
My electric connect fee went up over 30percent. Electric rate up another ten percent. It's just cheaper to burn pellets, then to cook my way out of a little cool spell.

Can't fire the stove. It's getting a paint job on Saturday and I refuse to clean it again, before the weekend. The paint showed up in the mail today, via an online purchase last week. Put on the sweat shirts and pants and baked a cake last night. Sure will be good to see the first burn of 2013-14....after Saturday! It got down to 42 last night, for those counting....

Roast something in the oven, bake bread, pies, anything but fire up the stove. Do some serious canning. Run 10 miles. Come on folks you are acting like little old ladies and wimping out early.

It was 66 Degs in my house this morning, no need to fire up the stoves, Just clicked on the Heat-N-Glo SL-550-TRS-D for a few mins to bring up to 68 Deg F :)

Almost time to close up the 2 gable vents with the insulated plywood doors I built for the winter and then cover up the whole house fan with insulation!

Hello

As a test, I blocked the whole house fan wiith insulation and closed up both gable ends in the attic last night!
This morning was 39 Degs outside and 68 Degs in the house. What a difference 2 degs! That is amazing! No heat needed this AM!

Reactions: vinny11950
Almost time to close up the 2 gable vents with the insulated plywood doors I built for the winter and then cover up the whole house fan with insulation!

Why are you going to block your gable vents? They are there for a reason.

Why are you going to block your gable vents? They are there for a reason.
Yes, they were there for a reason but since I put in soffit strip vents and foil covered proper vents up to the ridge vent, they are not needed but I like to keep them open for the summer only.

Oh man o man o man! You guys have me sooo tempted to do my own "test burn". But, I'm going to be strong and hold out for a bit. I'm changing my exhaust venting configuration so don't want to gunk it up with soot just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.