Brunco wood stove insert adapted to freestanding stove OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Sep 7, 2008
Soth central PA
I already have a Brunco fireplace insert from a friend, but I need a freestanding wood stove. I got on Brunco website and the 2 types are similarly constructed, but vent pipe is rectangular and out the top of the stove. If I can adapt a vent pipe to vent properly using my existing chimney, can I use this insert as a freestanding unit? Since it is an insert it has no legs. Any help here?

Don't know about the Brunco, but the thought has crossed my mind concerning a different insert, and I think it could be done. Considerations: Is the shielding adequate on all six sides? Can legs or a base be fitted? Is there anything exposed when the unit is pulled out and free standing that might make it unsafe, difficult to control, vulnerable or hazardous?

My own conclusion concerning a VC Winterwarm small is that it would be safe (but not pretty) if mounted on a robust pedastle base. On this unit, there are tapped bosses in the bottom of the insert to accept leveling bolts, and these might serve as hard mounting points to a custom made pedastle. Maybe something similar on the Brunco?

Status
Not open for further replies.