1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Brush cutter blades, wing cutters, or fine tooth ???

Post in 'The Gear' started by HDRock, Mar 15, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Brush cutter blades that mount on a trimmer

The stihl dealer says that three and four wing brush cutter blades are for brush, and the finer tooth blades are for 1 2 3” and bigger saplings.

He said the finer tooth blades will grab using them on brush, does this sound about right to you all??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yeah, its kinda like trying to cut a rope with a crosscut saw. If you can zero in on one at a time then you're probably fine, but if they're so close together you can't differentiate them then you're probably better of just pulverizing them.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I have the Stihl FS-130 trimmer with bike handles.

For thicker brush, I'll use the Metal Brush Knife:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...essories/trimmer-heads-and-blades/brushknife/

For woody plants and saplings, I'll use the Chisel Tooth Circular Saw Blade:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...ries/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

That saw blade has cutters designed very similarly to those found on a chainsaw chain, is a good cutter, and is pretty smooth if you use it as designed. The manual recommends using the proper shield for protection and BIKE HANDLES ONLY for better control. Oh, and I've cut up to 5" trees with it. Very similar to a chainsaw in terms of speed, but no bending over!

We had a saw blade on our 30 year old Echo trimmer with loop handle, but we had to be very careful about kickback. Bikes are best for sawing.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We had a couple jobs clearing some hillsides of grass/weeds/brush/trees. To do a really good job there's no one-size-fits-all. We started with the big weeds/briars/scrub brush with the "wing blades"....what they wouldn't cut (larger saplings) we'd make a second pass with the saw blades. Then remove all the debris from that...and go back over with heavy string or a mower (if possible).

The mini-circular saw blades suck when cutting brush, but are good for trees. Vice versa on the "wing blades".
    ScotO and TreePointer like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have a blade that is for cutting brush. Don't think I've ever cut anything over 4" but I've cut lots of brush with it. And yes, I also have a 4 edged blade that is for cutting the big weeds. And yes, I also have one that takes nylon string for....
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Thanks guys

Yeah, TP I saw the chisel tooth blade and I may end up getting that one for the saplings. I just have to go over to the dealer, and see he said he had four different blades there including that one, I guess it's about 30 bucks.

I should have included what I have it is a ryobi, it came with a four wing blade hat I have never used, it does have bike handle and strap
    So yeah lukem I will do the brush with the wing blade and switch to the toothed blade
    The big reason why I ask about this here , is because at one point the guy I was talking to on the phone said that he could only go by what he had their in the books, so that made me kind of unsure .
  7. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Haven't used one, but remember them gathering dust on our shelves when I worked for a dealer.

Seems kinda pricey when you compare it to a circ. saw type blade like Stihl sells for their units. Both are resharpened using a file.