Brush Fires In Ridge/Manorville New York

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My next door neighbor is 1st LT @ Ridge ( my snow plow savior ). I remember as a kid, my Mom being head of the Ladies Auxiliary, and coordinating food, soda, and helping her march it into the blazes....good times :) Plectrons ruled, back then.[/quote]

My grandmother was one of the founding members of the ladies auxiliary here.

Still have a plectron in the shop at work. You can here that thing over any peice of machinery in there.

Eileen, good news today. We both got the x-rays and doctor said they all look great. Surgery is on for May 1 for the redhead. For me, he gave me a shot in the hip as he thinks I have brusitis.

But this is funny. He almost broke the needle trying to give me the shot. Him, his nurse and the redhead were all amazed, but he got the job done. Said he'd never seen nor heard of such a thing happening. So I told him about a nurse in a different hospital many years ago when I laid there for 2 months. One day I was in great need for pain med and one of the more experienced nurses was sent in with the needle. She liked to sort of take aim and jam the needle in quick. She about flipped when she did that and the needle did not go in me but shot out of her hand and went across the room. I laughed but she was shocked. She also said she'd never seen it. Old hat for me. I also recall getting some shots in the spine and this doctor told me he had done thousands of these procedures. Simple thing to do for him and should have taken 10 minutes maximum. It took him 15 minutes just to get the needle in. I was able to watch it on the monitor and he was a bit frustrated. I laughed. Everyone else there was shocked. I think I have the hide of a water buffalo.

Back to the hip though, he said if the shot did not work he might have to do a minor surgery to get inside. Would no doubt just be an outpatient thing as he said it was not a big deal. We'll see if it goes away in a couple days.

So, I hope the place does not smell all smoky for you. Glad things are under control.

Sounds like they are going again today....Be safe out there!!!!

It is so dry out here..fire on Weeks Ave and North Street...Can't believe this..I was driving on Weeks at 11am today..thinking so industrial, where are the houses? Then I saw a few homes. Felt better when I saw them. Would not want to break down there -so isolated..One poor SOB had his 4 sale...those poor people, crossing my fingers for them...Here's hoping they can contain this and no injuries,loss of life and property...I did see a horse farm...Oh no..here we go again....

Hey they have got this contained! No loss of structures etc...

They got them done way quicker this time. I passed Southold heading home, on my way home.

Yep..these firefighters are great!....hope everyone out here remembers to donate during the next drive.....they are #1 on my list when I have extra cash..
Dix when you're in Southold again stop in at the Wayside Market..great potatoe salad...nice butcher too...Dh's parents had a summer house on Kenny's Road north of cr 48...Lost something there when I was young...lol.....

Glad they contained this one. Hope you don't have the wind like we had yesterday. I was starting to work up a sweat so decided to take my shirt off. Danged wind caught the shirt as I was trying to remove it. Good thing I had my cell phone so I could call my wife. I ended up in Port Huron. That's not bad until you realize it is 100 or so miles east of us.

Thanks Dennis....I'm smiling now...hope our firefighters get a brake..without winter's snow and spring rains..like straw out here..The winds were an issue in the first brush fire.....just fanned everything....Was driving around Wading River today(fire#1) can still smell the charred forest as I went by..was also in fire#2 area a few hours before it broke out....Several years ago a horse farm barn caught fire 1 mile from my home..I'll never forget the odor of the poor dead horses..never..I cried for weeks......horrible...

I certainly hope you and J are feeling better...must be remote where you live! Just saw your technical issues thread..Terrible loss if you go dark...hope you get your internet issues resolved once and for all..Take Care......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
17001.jpg

Thanks Dennis....I'm smiling now...hope our firefighters get a brake..without winter's snow and spring rains..like straw out here..The winds were an issue in the first brush fire.....just fanned everything....Was driving around Wading River today(fire#1) can still smell the charred forest as I went by..was also in fire#2 area a few hours before it broke out....Several years ago a horse farm barn caught fire 1 mile from my home..I'll never forget the odor of the poor dead horses..never..I cried for weeks......horrible...

I certainly hope you and J are feeling better...must be remote where you live! Just saw your technical issues thread..Terrible loss if you go dark...hope you get your internet issues resolved once and for all..Take Care......

And when I was young we went to two barn fires that were local. I was small and still recuperating from polio so did not get in on the action but do remember on one they had a hard time getting the cows and horses out as they naturally wanted to go to the barn for protection. That is what the animals do. On the second fire, things did not go so well. I shall never forget that one either.

We really are not that remote but do live a good distance from a city (we like that). Lots of farming in the area but yet lots of forest too. We both grew up on dairy farms near where we live. More remote is further north and we did live in the north and loved it. Talked many times about going back but have decided to stay put here.

That's why evacuating the horses was so vital. They want to stay in there stalls (they don't all stay in stalls ... Dix is outside 90% of the time, and Matisse 100% of the time) it's "safe". Plenty of wet towels were getting soaked in buckets from water containers in the trailers, then put over their faces under their halters as they were lead out.

A barn fire with negative results is not pretty, Dennis. Sorry you had to experience that.

Ack, Steve, sorry. Spray painting can last for weeks. We use halter tags, ID'd with the horses name & a cell phone number for easy Id of the horses. Dixie's is purple
cool-smiley-008.gif

tiny1__43894_std.jpg

And when I was young we went to two barn fires that were local. I was small and still recuperating from polio so did not get in on the action but do remember on one they had a hard time getting the cows and horses out as they naturally wanted to go to the barn for protection. That is what the animals do. On the second fire, things did not go so well. I shall never forget that one either.

We really are not that remote but do live a good distance from a city (we like that). Lots of farming in the area but yet lots of forest too. We both grew up on dairy farms near where we live. More remote is further north and we did live in the north and loved it. Talked many times about going back but have decided to stay put here.

One of the scariest fires for me was also one of my first fires . . . a barn fire with several cows in the barn. I remember being told to go in along with another firefighter and drive the cows out . . . you've never really lived until you're standing among several head of scared cattle with smoke starting to fill the barn and pieces of burning debris start raining down from overhead. I'm not embarassed to say . . . it was a mite bit scary.

Nothing wrong with being scared. Fear is what keeps us alive sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.