Brush Grubber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treacherous

Minister of Fire
May 13, 2010
US
Anyone use any of these Brush Grubbers?

I was thinking of getting a smaller model to pull some small trees out on my property.

119312_lg.jpg

I used em to pull pallets out of semi trailer, worked well for that as long as tension is maintained on what you are pulling. I think just a chain wrapped around the tree would work better though. If you are pulling over any kind of terrain that grabber may come loose and you will have to back up get off the four wheeler and reset it.

I used em to pull pallets out of semi trailer, worked well for that as long as tension is maintained on what you are pulling. I think just a chain wrapped around the tree would work better though. If you are pulling over any kind of terrain that grabber may come loose and you will have to back up get off the four wheeler and reset it.

On the contrary, for pulling out small brush or trees, a chain many times slips too much. Those things are made for pulling stuff out and not for dragging them like a log. For what they are made for they seem to me to be quite nice.

Probably the bad part is that many times it might take 2 people. One to hold the tension while the other gets the tractor going. Can't you just picture it? Get all hooked on and climb on tractor. Whoops! Get back off and rehook.

I almost got one last year. I may still at some point.
I've got some maple type bushes on the west side of the house where one might be useful.
Maybe a small bungie for tension.

I decided to get the small unit. After looking at some Youtube videos I think this will pull out all the small alder and misc small trees I need to remove. I'll be pulling with my '04.5 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. It weighs around 800lbs and I have a 3K pound WARN winch on the front. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I pull out black locust saplings and a few other youngins with a Brush Grubber Xtreme and a JD4600 tractor (over 4000 lbs with FEL) wearing R1 tires (see picture). If I pay attention to where I put it on the tree, it will not slip. The spring that closes the jaws is really strong, and the more tension you add when you first start to pull, the more it digs into the wood.

splittertractor.jpg

I pull out black locust saplings and a few other youngins with a Brush Grubber Xtreme and a JD4600 tractor (over 4000 lbs with FEL) wearing R1 tires (see picture). If I pay attention to where I put it on the tree, it will not slip. The spring that closes the jaws is really strong, and the more tension you add when you first start to pull, the more it digs into the wood.

splittertractor.jpg
Nice tractor setup, that has got be great to work with processing

I decided to get the small unit. After looking at some Youtube videos I think this will pull out all the small alder and misc small trees I need to remove. I'll be pulling with my '04.5 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. It weighs around 800lbs and I have a 3K pound WARN winch on the front. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Please do let us know how it does. Pictures might help too. I'll also be interested to see how the atv does on the pulling. We have a Yamaha Grizzly 700 EFI with the 3000 lb Warn winch.

On the contrary, for pulling out small brush or trees, a chain many times slips too much. Those things are made for pulling stuff out and not for dragging them like a log. For what they are made for they seem to me to be quite nice.

Probably the bad part is that many times it might take 2 people. One to hold the tension while the other gets the tractor going. Can't you just picture it? Get all hooked on and climb on tractor. Whoops! Get back off and rehook.

Spring loaded jaws on the model pictured should keep the payroll to a minimum. ;)

Reactions: TreePointer
Glad to hear that. Will make the work go much better.

Why not get a short pipe large enough to fit a chain through,on the side weld a grab hook.Slip the chain through pipe and around whatever you want to pull and hook end to welded grab hook drive away.Pipe will not slip with most hook-ups and cost in almost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.