Brushcutter carby diaphragm shot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all, was after some advice for caring for 2-stroke motors.

My (japanese made, Shingu brand, ~30cc) brushcutter which has worked really well for 3 or 4 years died recently, turns out the carby diaphragm was shot - I had checked spark, (yes had it) bought a new spark plug anyway in case there wasn't enough spark, fuel (fine, checked in leaf blower), filters (clean and exhaust port clog (wasn't) and handed it in for professional servicing, and was told not to leave fuel in it as the fuel "eats" the carby diaphragm.

I am always careful not to use ethanol blended fuel, or does all petrol (gas) have this problem? Is it better or worse with high petrol:eek:il ratios? I run 40 or 50:1 with good quality synthetic oil.

How do I ensure carby is as empty as possible after use? Is there a good way to store it when I don't plan on using it for a while eg months?

Are all my 2-stroke motor tools in the same boat - chainsaw, leafblower, brushcutter - or is the brushcutter particularly sensitive? Should I utilise the same advice for 4 stroke motors eg my push mower etc?

Thanks in advance!

Let the engine run till it runs out of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.