Brushes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
So it has been a while since I asked my stove buddies on the inter webs.... I have a rigid stainless liner of 6" size, typical cap at the top, heavy duty flex at the bottom. I do have a regular steel brush but is there a brush specifically made for stainless liner? I would also like to know what brand and type of rods to get. I actually have been burning for 15+ years but never been in one place long enough to sweep a chimney. I have inspected several of the chimneys at our homes and they did not seem all too bad... in other words very light accumulation after several cords. I always have burned 4-6 cords/yr. So help me get the right stuff. Is it also conceivable to call a local sweep, would the price of the gear be the same as hiring a "PRO"?

If you plan on moving again then maybe buying the materials wouldn't be worth it and I'd just hire a sweep.

We've heard mixed reviews on whether or not to use metal brushes on SS liners. However, from what I have gathered most sweeps use metal brushes on everything.

When I put a SS liner in I bought a poly brush and that does a fine job.

Having the thing swept is the most important thing and being careful not to jamb the brush through areas that may be ovalized where it doesn't belong, not damage baffle plates in your stove, not to fall off the roof, etc.

pen

Right Pen, The whole roof thing makes me dizzy! It is funny how I climb 100ft. trees on a regular basis but can't get up on the roof without getting dizzy! :lol: So back to the pipe & brushes, I do not plan on moving again, the pipe is straight all the way excepting the heavy duty flex at the stove, the bricks come out to completely expose the exhaust opening. So is it worth the investment to buy the tooling :-/???

If the roof thing is iffy for you then you may be able to remove that flex pipe from the stove and clean from the bottom up?

If a traditional brush and flex rods won't work for your situation, then perhaps look into one of these things called a sooteater http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH-20...5JXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312072858&sr=8-1

4272662_rch205.jpg

pen

I wouldn't use a carbon steel brush on a stainless steel liner. I don't know if there are stainless steel brushes.

I have a rigid stainless steel liner and use a poly bush on it. Works great.

I think my rods are 1/4 inch in diameter and 4 ft long pieces that screw together. I brush top down, but on my second chimney going on a new addition of mine, it is rigged so that I can go bottom-up on that one.

Good luck,
Bill

I've always used steel brushes on chimneys until we put up a SS chimney. A poly was recommended by a well experienced man so I put out the $15 for a poly brush. Some say it is bull but for $15 it is worth it to me to not take the chance of harming or shortening the life of the chimney.

pen said:
However, from what I have gathered most sweeps use metal brushes on everything.

They shouldn't. It's pretty common knowledge in the industry that steel is not for stainless liners.

Stiff poly is best, though there are some soft bristle stainless brushes which work OK too from what I hear.

What do you recommend for class A and double-wall connector pipe cleaning?

See the rigid liner is like regular stove pipe, only stainless. I do not know where to get a poly brush for stove pipes... the soot eater that Pen recommended is interesting...

Hardware stores or stove shops should have poly brushes. If they don't have one, ask them to order one for you.

I might try to get another one this year, but the poly brush I had wouldn't go up the corrugated ss liner, whereas the steel one does.

Here we go again.............. poly, steel, poly, steel, cat, non cat, blah blah fkin blah!
I have both and round here, the poly does not clean as well as the steel. May work different for your set up.
Just pick a brush if that is what you want to do and clean away. Or hire a sweep.
And that "common industry knowledge" is nothing more than personal preference.

Hogwildz said:
Here we go again.............. poly, steel, poly, steel, cat, non cat, blah blah fkin blah!
I have both and round here, the poly does not clean as well as the steel. May work different for your set up.
Just pick a brush if that is what you want to do and clean away. Or hire a sweep.
And that "common industry knowledge" is nothing more than personal preference.

Wow. Thanks.

The safest way to go is with what your particular manufacturer's instructions say. I do keep a 6" round steel brush on the truck just in case.. but I very rarely have to use it. You can get away with it on Class A or a rigid stainless liner but if everything is operating properly you shouldn't need something so aggressive.

My mistake then. But I can say that one of the sweeps here and the few I know in person only use metal brushes. Of course that doesn't make it right I suppose.

pen

You can get away with it on some stuff but most manufacturers at least prefer you to use poly. Honestly the only problem I've ever SEEN for myself has been using steel with a stainless corrugated liner.

Sorry for the tangent. To the OP: Do try the Soot Eater. It's a pretty cool tool for a homeowner! Though, it might be beneficial if the first inspection is done by a certified sweep with video equipment to verify you're starting with a good system.

My system is OK, it's the fourth I've done myself. I do not question any advice given for free, it's worth what you pay. The poly vs. steel debate is funny. I thought the stigma was with the flex or corrugated and it makes sense. The corrugated stainless liners are very susceptible to puncture as they are very thin. To hogwildz, if it causes you pain to read about the same things over and over maybe you could not give a response to my questions. I am sorry I pissed you off by seeing what the others are doing. :)

No science, only opinion. I have two 6" steel brushes and Class A stainless chimney. One brush is stiffer than a dead rat in cold storage and the other is very flexible and easily moves up and down to do a little scrubbing as the brush moves through the chimney. So steel brushes are not all of one ilk. Needless to say, I don't use the dead rat. The most important thing is to clean the chimney as necessary. For me it's once a year for the wood stove and for the gasifer, whether needed or not.

I use poly. Why the heck not? If there is even a chance that the steel is harder on the pipe and could shorten its life then there is no reason to use steel. Your goal is not to spit shine the flue pipe. Your goal is to remove most of the creosote to prevent chimney fires. The poly does this just fine. I believe mine is a Rutland brand.

I use a steel brush on our pipe, bought at Menards for $9. Looked at the rods and couldn't justify the cost at the time, so bought a thin roll of 50' steel cable and a tow hook that was on the same shelf. Tied cable to brush, cut cable a couple feet longer then chimney, and put the tow hook on other end. All for under $20. Then go on roof, take the cap off, drop the hook in, then push the brush in, reinstall cap, and go down to pull the brush thru.

That is a cool way to go, with cable and a "weight". I sure appreciate all the knowledge, and trial and error. I will go for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.