BS about splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that all metal maul, think it's 15 pounds. The super splitter they call it, more like the back breaker. So far I haven't needed anything that big, thank goodness.

Noah said:
I've seen that all metal maul, think it's 15 pounds. The super splitter they call it, more like the back breaker. So far I haven't needed anything that big, thank goodness.
i dont think i could swing it for very long

smokinj said:
Noah said:
i dont think i could swing it for very long

You dont swing it,you drop it :)

mayhem said:
I'd say at least half of the members here have a splitter or rent one once or twice a year. The rest of us do it by hand either because we're cheap or we need the exercise.

Check out the gear room for splitter threads daily!

How about broke?!

I don't think I could swing it very accurately. Even after about 30 minutes of swinging the 8lb the swings start to get a little wild.

cmonSTART said:
Nice splitter. What model is that? I have the TW-P1 myself and I LOVE it. They are very very well made machines.

its a TW-5. my wife thinks I had rocks in my head for spending what I did, but I said you get your fat ass out there and split, that sorta shut her up. Oh well I sure am saving lots of money burning wood

I really don't think you said that to her.How dose that sofa feel to sleep on. ;-P

no i didnt really say that, but I felt like it. Just showing off

Noah said:
My splitter, not sure the tonnage though.
573702059.jpg
That looks just like mine. I better go check my garage. Jeff

ScottF said:
33 ton . It seems like you wouldnt need one that strong. Can you crosscut with it also if you sharpen the wedge? I would think it would crush right through

I can shear wood with my 35 ton so i'm sure the 33 ton will as well.
As for needing one that strong...you never know what kind of snotty wood is going to dump in your lap. It's nice to be able to easily split anything instead of wasting it.

Ok, In the size does matter department. How big of a splitter do you need? I have a 5 ton electric. It's pretty good, but I can stall it out easily.

How big does one need to be to go through anything?

Yeah I have a cheap chinese "7 ton" (take that with a pinch of salt) electric hyraulic log splitter, and although it beats doing it by hand or with a maul - my hands get sore either way - it too baulks at large rounds, rounds too green or too seasoned or too tough (eg ironbark over a few inches).

I am already looking at upgrading and I've only had it for 3 months :)

I can't find anyone selling those super splitter Down Under, probably too expensive for my budget anyway, so I'll probably get a petrol powered 20 ton splitter next.

I've been borrowing my neighbors splitter when I need it, but would really like to have my own.

I've been eying the "big one" over at TSC, but it's going to take me a while to save up for that.

-SF

Many moons ago when I was in the market for a splitter, my wife and I were in a store (Quality Farm & Fleet) and were just standing by the splitters talking. They were on sale and the manager came up and started talking to us. I told him I just wasn't sure what size I needed and he suggested the one we were by, which was a 20 ton. Said it would split everything we needed split.

I suggested to him that sure, we could buy that thing, take it home and then find out it wasn't any good. He stated that if that happened, to just bring it back to the store for our money back or buy a larger one then. Well, being on sale and all, I then suggested that if he took another hundred dollars off I'd buy it that night. He did, and I did and have never been sorry.

In all the years we've had that splitter, I've found only one log that it would not split. There's been a few that made it snort a bit, but they did split. One of the best purchases I've ever made!

SlyFerret said:
I've been borrowing my neighbors splitter when I need it, but would really like to have my own.

I've been eying the "big one" over at TSC, but it's going to take me a while to save up for that.

-SF

Same here Sly :down:

karl said:
Ok, In the size does matter department. How big of a splitter do you need? I have a 5 ton electric. It's pretty good, but I can stall it out easily.

It all depends on what you forsee getting into. If you cut off of a stack of stick wood...a 20ton-er is more than enough. If you are cutting interior wood lot trees that are straight with minimal snottyness, the 20ton-er is more than enough. If you get into some fugly hedge row stuff that goes up 10ft and is a clusterfluck of branches....you'll prolly still be ok but there will probably be some you won't be able to split. I do get into quite a few of those hedge row trees and they are a mess of knots so I went big ( I also get a truck load of sticks every three years which it splits without sweating). It all comes down to what you typically split or what you think you may split down the road, though, it's hard to predict. I'm the kind of guy that will go bigger than I need at the moment for what may come down the path later on. I'd say a 20ton splitter will do most of what you need though.

woodconvert said:
karl said:

It all depends on what you forsee getting into. If you cut off of a stack of stick wood...a 20ton-er is more than enough. If you are cutting interior wood lot trees that are straight with minimal snottyness, the 20ton-er is more than enough. If you get into some fugly hedge row stuff that goes up 10ft and is a clusterfluck of branches....you'll prolly still be ok but there will probably be some you won't be able to split. I do get into quite a few of those hedge row trees and they are a mess of knots so I went big ( I also get a truck load of sticks every three years which it splits without sweating). It all comes down to what you typically split or what you think you may split down the road, though, it's hard to predict. I'm the kind of guy that will go bigger than I need at the moment for what may come down the path later on. I'd say a 20ton splitter will do most of what you need though.
Mine splitts for example, ave.50in rounds 27 ton will do it but i am working to death!

On the other hand, I've split some larger than those 50" rounds with no problem. As stated, I've had only one log that I couldn't split and that is over many years. btw, it was a knotty elm.

woodconvert said:
karl said:

My grandfather always said "build it BIGGER, you can always grow into it". Over the years I have done just that.
I like your thinking.

I bought a 28 ton Swisher, with a 10 1/2 B&S;, after I literally gave myself whiplash with the steel handled monstrosity. :grrr: Hundreds of dollars later, and several trips to the chiropractor, I said I will never split by hand again. Not because I don't like to do it, I just can't afford it!

I finally found something that will make the Swisher grunt a bit. I was at the tree dump yesterday and found a big chunk of Locust. Over 36" across the cut and heavy enough there is no way I could lifted the rounds, even with help. I rolled the rounds over to the splitter, with help, and let the swisher do its job! I actually had to throttle it up to over 3/4. Wedge never stopped, but came close a few times on the crotch pieces. Totally gnarled up, snotty, and twisted all the way across the round. It truly was the nastiest piece of wood I have ever split. There is absolutely no way that a lesser splitter would have done it.

I love having a splitter that will handle anything I can physically move over to it. I am only limited by the length of the bar, and the strength of my back for moving the rounds around. :coolgrin:

I always have my wife and/or kidlet(s) with me to run the handle on the splitter, load the truck, and for safety reasons. (My belief is that a chain saw is the most dangerous tool you can operate without a license) It makes for a more pleasant experience, if you can cut, split, fill the truck and drive home in about 2 hours. Working together it goes pretty quick.

Now I'm looking for a trailer for hauling wood, (so I can get more in one trip) with enough room for the splitter too.

Has anybody tried the air operated 12 ton mini splitter??

LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodconvert said:
karl said:

My grandfather always said "build it BIGGER, you can always grow into it". Over the years I have done just that.
I like your thinking.

Thanks Lee. That line of thinking has worked out well for me over the years for varius things. Not sure that it would be the optimal method for choosing a wife/girlfriend though ;-P

woodconvert said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
woodconvert said:
karl said:

I like your thinking.

Thanks Lee. That line of thinking has worked out well for me over the years for varius things. Not sure that it would be the optimal method for choosing a wife/girlfriend though ;-P

LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.