BS about splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice set of wheels ya got...both of em'. I'd bet the Grizz comes in handy for tugging stuff out of the woods. You need a big wood sleigh to complete the set!

Catskill- I got the same splittah. I had a piece of very dry 3 year old red oak that I just beat myself to death trying to split by hand when it was fresh (crotch of a big tree with extra knots)- I threw it on there Saturday and it bogged the splitter down... then groaned... then it split it. It cut through thr grain sideways and really mashed it up well. When your red oak looks like elm afterwards- you know it was a tough log.

Huskee 22 Ton from Tractor Supply..

Attachments

• DSC01704.JPE
    DSC01704.JPE
    13.8 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC01705.JPE
    DSC01705.JPE
    14.1 KB · Views: 397
I've got a 25+ year old brave. It's rated at 22 tons with an 8hp Briggs but the cylinder is a bit larger/longer than some newer ones I've seen. I wonder if the ratings have changed or the equipment has gotten more compact? The Brave has split stuff all the way up to 38" red oak just fine.

sawdustburners said:
where's the wedge? whats the motor ?

The wedge is extended about 3/4 stroke in the photo - it's welded directly to the hydraulic cylinder rod to save space. I can dis-assemble the cylinder from the other end if I need to, so it's not too bad if I ever have to rebuild. The engine is a briggs 6.5hp turning a haldex 11 gpm two stage pump. Basically, think of it as a giant "C" clamp. The "backbone" is 6" schedule 40 pipe - which also serves as the hydraulic oil tank. It works fine, square pipe would have been better - both structurally and for slightly more oil capacity, but all I had laying in the shop was the round, so I went with it. It looks kind of top heavy and I was worried about it at first, but using it over the years, it's never really been an issue.

@120 hours and still going strong, last years pic

Attachments

• FIREWOOD hearth 001.jpg
    FIREWOOD hearth 001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 292
Wow cozyheat, that is an awesome splitter ya built. Nice and compact for such a high tonnage. with such a narrow wedge do you have any trouble with the splits not wanting to come apart or keeping those small strings connecting between the two splits? I would love to be able to build something like that but alas, I don't have a welder and wouldn't know where to start even if I did.

fire_N_ice said:
@120 hours and still going strong, last years pic

Fire

How long & wide are your rounds??

John

12 inch and under this year, but last year split a few 20 inch round seasoned red oak 14 inch long. This year had a good scrounge of cherry. Split in Aug after 2 weeks in the hot summer sun. Fresh cherry would not budge. If you are interested in one of these, search it out on the forum. Lots of pleased people.Try youtube too.

Mines orange uses no gas no maintence . works everytime . I get tired whe I use it . Fumes maybe . Chainsaw before noon splitter afternoon CODE BLUE

fire_N_ice said:
12 inch and under this year, but last year split a few 20 inch round seasoned red oak 14 inch long. This year had a good scrounge of cherry. Split in Aug after 2 weeks in the hot summer sun. Fresh cherry would not budge. If you are interested in one of these, search it out on the forum. Lots of pleased people.Try youtube too.

Thank you.

Glacialhills said:
Wow cozyheat, that is an awesome splitter ya built. Nice and compact for such a high tonnage. with such a narrow wedge do you have any trouble with the splits not wanting to come apart or keeping those small strings connecting between the two splits? I would love to be able to build something like that but alas, I don't have a welder and wouldn't know where to start even if I did.

Not really - I sharpened the wedge to help slice through any knots or twisted grain. It has just enough stroke to have the wedge touch the bottom plate. I'll occasionally hit a piece that is really stringy (mostly free elm that I keep getting) but in that case, I doubt having a couple extra inches of wedge width would make any difference anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.