BTU and Flue Temperature Relationship?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgoldtop

Oct 30, 2015
Massachusetts
I am new to this site and curious about flue temperature and BTU output. I just replaced our great old Jotul 602B with an Efel Harmony 1 to get more heat. The Jotul was in our house when purchased 22 years ago but we never used it until this last memorable NE winter (another story!). The Jotul site says the 602 puts out 28K BTU. The Efel spec says 87,600 BTU MAX burn rate and EPA output range 11.900-55,000 BTU/Hr. What is the difference between max burn rate and output range? I presume it is a peak number vs normal operating range. I also wou;d like to know if I can use the single wall stove pipe thermometer to know if I am obtaining the maximum heat output of 55k BTU when remaining within the thermometers recommended maximum temperatures. I do not want to burn at unsafe temperatures but how do I know if I am reaching the 55k? It is very easy to quickly exceed the thermometers recommended zones (Condar Medallion magnetic thermometer set 12” above top venting stove top) and I tend to reduce the air intake to near closed position to remain within the thermometers recommended zone even with a single log on a good hot bed of coals.

I want to add that it is clear that the Efel is making us warmer and the room temperature indicated on our thermostat is much higher and faster. I like the Efel over the 602. The Efel footprint is only slightly larger but loads in an east/west orientation with a glass door and produces much more heat. It also has an ash pan which the 602 did not. The 602 required frequent raking to move hot coals from the back to the front in order to load. The Efel side door makes loading easy. I have had some issues with some of the stove cement falling off but am working with the distributor to resolve. It is drawing well and no smoke issues after the initial start up that I presume was due to oils burning off. I found little consumer experience online with any of the Efel products but wanted a non cat with a small footprint. So far we are very pleased. Thanks for any help with the BTU/thermometer question.

Status
Not open for further replies.