BTU conversion, for interested parties

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-T

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2008
NH
I have known for some time that the "BTU" is the amount of energy it takes to heat 1 lb of water 1 degree F (at 1 atmosphere), but did you also know...

One BTU is approximately:

1 054 – 1 060 J (joules)
2.931 ×10-4 kWh (kilowatt hours)
252 – 253 cal (calories, or "little calories")
0.25 kcal (kilocalories, "large calories", or "food calories")
25 031 – 25 160 ft·pdl (foot-poundal)
778 – 782 ft·lbf (foot-pounds-force)

I actualy dont know what you use a "foot-poundal" for. Anybody?

Hey there...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Foot-poundal is a non-SI unit of energy or work. The foot-poundal is the amount of energy expended when a force of one poundal acts through a distance of 1 foot along the direction of the force and is defined as 1 ft•pdl. The foot-poundal can also be expressed as the calculable energy or work done over the distance of one foot by a one pound mass accelerated at one foot per second, per second.

The foot-poundal is equal to 1/32.174049 of the more commonly used foot-pound force.

The foot-poundal is a part of the foot-pound-second system of units introduced in 1879 and is one of several specialized subsystems of mechanical units named; Absolute English System.

And a Poundal is...
The poundal is a non-SI unit of force. It is a part of the foot-pound-second system of units, a coherent subsystem of English units introduced in 1879, and one of several specialized subsystems of mechanical units used as aids in calculations. It is defined as 1 lb·ft·s−2, or in words, as the force necessary to accelerate a pound of mass at 1 foot per second, per second. 1 pdl = 0.138 254 954 376 N exactly.

I Sooooo love Wikipedia!

Status
Not open for further replies.