Btu for a Florida home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kene

Oct 2, 2008
Central Florida
Hello,
I have a few questions regarding the btus required.
Our family room/dining room is about 550 sq. feet 9ft ceilings no walls.
Attached office (1 door) and kitchen (2 doors), and a long hall to 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.
2400 sq feet total. Fire place in the center of the house, in the family room . Heat pump hvac. Some nights in the low 30’s at night, with the typical 1962 bricks and wood floors make good insulation. My grandfather had a Buck Stove attached to the back side of his chimney (similar house construction) and you could get the house up to 80+ degrees on the coldest nights with the stove.

How much is too much? I do not know the rating of his stove but I am looking at the fireplace inserts for our house and I am not sure how much is too much.
I have ceiling fans and would be using central air fan to move air during winter (two returns in family room that run through the uninsulated crawlspace.
Any suggestions from other Florida residents or even SE neighbors?
Thank you,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.