Btu/Hr. size pellet stove needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailchess

Aug 23, 2008
Maine
Hi Everyone:

I live in Maine where the temperature on a very cold day can be as low as a minus 10 degrees but generally the low is between a plus 10 and 20 degrees. My home is under construction with R30 walls, R50 roof with dual pane gas filled windows. Windows total 10 and there are three exterior doors. The home will be pressured tested and any leaks are supposed to be sealed.

The home is essentially a box measuring 24 feet by 26 feet with a finished basement, first floor, second floor and a half attic which is also finished. There is about 600 square feet each in the basement, first floor, and second floor, and about 400 in the attic space. The total space to be heated is about 2,200 square feet. The basement is also insulated.

I plan to install a pellet stove in the basement and hope that with three floor vents between the basement and first floor with single stairways between floors that I can heat the entire building.

My question if you will please, is whether to buy a pellet stove with a btu range of 8,200 to 28,700 or go with a larger pellet stove with a btu range of 13,500 to 42,000. I also wonder if you have an idea of what the temperature differential might be between the basement where the pellet stove is to be located and the finished attic space.

Thank you very much for your help,
sailchess

Status
Not open for further replies.