Q&A BTUs of oil burning stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Howdy - We have an oil-burning stove in our cabin. It is approximately 4 ft high by 5 ft wide by 3 ft deep. Inside it has 2 round tanks. You can light one or both tanks to provide heat. This is an old model, and heat simply radiates from it (no fan.)

What I'm trying to get a handle on is the BTUs this generates, and how a wood burning stove would compare. I'd much rather have a wood burner in there for a lot of reasons - however I want to be reasonably assured that I'd get the same (or more) heat from a stove as this old thing.

Answer:

The easiest way is to work backwards from how much oil it uses. Oil contain 140,000 BTU per gallon. If the unit is vented, you can assume about 60% efficiency, so you'd see about 85,000 BTU in the home for each gallon burned. If it took 4 hours to burn a gallon, then you are operating at just over 20,000 BTU/Hour output.

Status
Not open for further replies.