Buck 21 defective?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loco Gringo

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2011
Western North Carolina
Surely something is wrong with this thing. I can get a small fire started. The super cedars are incredible even using 1/4 of the disk. And I get a temp increase of 5 degrees in only 2 hours. And I burn less than one basket of wood to heat our 3 br home all night whereas it took at least one full basket just to heat the basement den before I could open the door to let the heat in. Then I would burn roughly 2 more baskets to get the upstairs warmed up. The kids were in their underwear this evening and I burned a 6 inch split of oak and a 4x4 chunk of cherry for 2 hours all the while maintaining 400 plus degrees surface temp. Is this what its like nowadays? Ill use 1/4 the wood I did in the 27000 and get twice the heat now. This is unbelieveable. This site is a lifesaver.

I didn't see that big of a savings going from a fisher to an englander, but I went from burning 5.5 to 6 cord down to about 4 to 4.5.

Glad to hear the good results. What till you get that stove top in the 600-700 range.

pen

The 21 is upstairs, right? That is a lot of if. Getting the heat in the area where ya live instead of waiting for it to come up from the basement.

Pen, I have the same stove, Is it safe to run the stove that hot, or would that just be the top end of a reload?

Scott

I have a model 74 that I regularly run to 650 stove temps ( meter just above the door(insert)). I like to keep it at 625 but At that temp it burns very nicely and uses very little wood.

PWF, I get totally different temps between where you have yours and the side of the stove, since I have it freestanding. I mean 100+ degrees. Hotter on the side than the front above the door.

I sorry! My meter is about 5" down from the top, right beside the door. I meant right above the handle...... I used a buddies laser meter to find the hottest spot on the front. Right at this spot the laser went off the charts.

Yep, it may be defective. It sounds like it's tossing way too much heat and could pose a fire hazard. Send it to me and I'll keep an eye on it until we can determine if it's safe. ;-)

Seriously, it's great to hear that your wood use has decreased so much and that everyone in the Gringo household is enjoying the toasty warmth. Have fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.