Buck 74 help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandonahs01

Nov 8, 2016
Huntington WV
I'm currently looking at the buck 74. I want to use it as a insert. It will be going in a fireplace that is about 30w x 28d x27h. It does have fire brick and cinder block behind it. Mantle is made of brick. The store I'm buying the stove from tells me I need the 74zc zero clearance stove. It about 600 more than just the 74. My question is do I need the 74zc or can I just use the 74 with a surround. Most of the pictures ive seen being used a insert with just a surround with a brick mantles. Thanks

I'm currently looking at the buck 74. I want to use it as a insert. It will be going in a fireplace that is about 30w x 28d x27h. It does have fire brick and cinder block behind it. Mantle is made of brick. The store I'm buying the stove from tells me I need the 74zc zero clearance stove. It about 600 more than just the 74. My question is do I need the 74zc or can I just use the 74 with a surround. Most of the pictures ive seen being used a insert with just a surround with a brick mantles. Thanks
I had a 74 installed and it went straight into the opening of an existing fireplace without using the zc. The zc kit is for manufactured or modular enclosures as far as I know. We are on our second season with the 74. Just a little info to share. The fire box is on the smaller size on this unit. I cut and split my on wood and have found that the ideal log size is 15" long and 5" round to load the stove per Bucks recommendation. This is a little smaller than your standard size log. If you plan to purchase your wood, be sure that it is not cut any longer than 16". Unless you are always home to feed logs into the stove, it doesn't live up to being able to heat a 2600 sq foot home as stated. Due to the smaller fire box a load of seasoned white oak burns for a little over an hour and the coals stay hot for about two hours after that.

I had a 74 installed and it went straight into the opening of an existing fireplace without using the zc. The zc kit is for manufactured or modular enclosures as far as I know. We are on our second season with the 74. Just a little info to share. The fire box is on the smaller size on this unit. I cut and split my on wood and have found that the ideal log size is 15" long and 5" round to load the stove per Bucks recommendation. This is a little smaller than your standard size log. If you plan to purchase your wood, be sure that it is not cut any longer than 16". Unless you are always home to feed logs into the stove, it doesn't live up to being able to heat a 2600 sq foot home as stated. Due to the smaller fire box a load of seasoned white oak burns for a little over an hour and the coals stay hot for about two hours after that.
Man, I wouldn't consider 2.6cuft box small. Something seems wrong If your only getting a few hours from seasoned oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.