Buck 81 with locust hickory mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrond

Apr 3, 2013
Pumpkintown SC
Pretty nice on a cold windy day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 190
I see a firery alien face in your fire. Is that you?

I am burning locust and red oak. That locust is some great firewood.

I am burning locust and red oak. That locust is some great firewood.
The stuff I am burning has been c/s in a barn for over 15 years. I was helping a friend clean out his deceased grandfathers house and sheds and about a cord was in there. I just had to try it. Apparently termites an such donot like locust wood

No, termites don't like locust. I have old fence posts on my land made of locust, they are 50 years old and are still standing. Takes forever for this stuff to rot. Plus it is extremely high in heat value, even better than red oak.

I just looked up Pumpkintown on the map. I knew that you had to be up near the mountains to have locust.
I am west of Asheville and we have lots of locust. However, my mom lives in n. Georgia, near Dahlonega, no locust near her place.

Last edited:
That 81 is a really good looking stove It was on my top 3 list. Is yours an insert or free standing? Us guys in the south seem to be limited on what we can get locally. Last year when I was shopping around I found a shop that only sold Jotul. They were very nice looking but the salesman seemed to be making up stuff as he went along. He also said stuff like " this is the only stove brand we carry because hey burn longer and put out more heat than any other brand". I left after he told me that I should expect to see flames in the box after 15+ hours with the largest jotul insert they carried. I'm not knocking the Jotuls by any means but that shop chased me away with all the BS he was pushing. After reading some of the Jotul reviews around here I may have went with one if there was another dealer.

That 81 is a really good looking stove It was on my top 3 list. Is yours an insert or free standing? Us guys in the south seem to be limited on what we can get locally. Last year when I was shopping around I found a shop that only sold Jotul. They were very nice looking but the salesman seemed to be making up stuff as he went along. He also said stuff like " this is the only stove brand we carry because hey burn longer and put out more heat than any other brand". I left after he told me that I should expect to see flames in the box after 15+ hours with the largest jotul insert they carried. I'm not knocking the Jotuls by any means but that shop chased me away with all the BS he was pushing. After reading some of the Jotul reviews around here I may have went with one if there was another dealer.
Sorry for the delay. Mine is set up as an insert but if I remember correctly it is approved for a pedestal as well as mobile home. I have enjoyed it so far compared to the old craft that it replaced. I usually split my wood on the small side to facilitate packing the stove tight. Also, I remove ashes almost daily I free up room in the box. The blower is kinda loud but it really moves the air. As far as burn times, I usually mix my seasoned wood with some in the 23% range. Dry on the bottom. I loaded at 930pm last nigh (walking dead commercial break) and at 425am I still had some really large coals. I open the air all the way while I shower and reload a 500am and am out the door by 510. I will leave the air at 1/4 open and it usually wakes the wife up sweating around 9. The only two issues I have are the door latch mechanism need tightening on a weekly basis and the fact that if you reload too soon, it will leave golf ball sized unburned coals in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.