Buck 91 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
I'm helping a friend again understand how to burn. This Buck 91 seems to have terrific drift with the bypass open. We light up with open bypass, then when the cat gauge finally gets up to about 400, close the bypass. It climbs to about 1,000 degrees. But the draft slows way down with the bypass closed. If the temp climbs okay, is it safe to say the cat is fine? Regarding draft, does it normally slow down a lot with the exhaust going through the reduced flow of the cat? For this stove, it's a big difference closed.

For this stove, when sweeping the chimney, (which someone they hired did), where does the creosote fall to? I'm wondering if the creosote could have fallen in around the cat and plugged it. My next trip out there I might drop that plate to see what's up there and try to get to the cat. The factory is going to send me a drawing so I know what I'm looking at.

One other Buck question: what should the stove top be running at? My Lopi likes 500-600 when cranking out the BTUs. This Buck only hits about 300 on the top but is sure puts out hot air with the fan running. Is there an extra plate wall in there so the hot exhaust doesn't actually touch the back side of that top plate?

I have a Buck94 which is the same stove as the 91 only non cat. The exterior of my stove stays pretty cool as well when cranking out the heat. I can hardly evaporate water on the top of my stove in a kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.