Buck model 91 restoration project, or purchase newer insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey All,
I am a new poster here. I recently moved to a larger home with a single heat pump. Heating bills are through the roof so I am trying to convert a drafty masonry fireplace to my main heating source. I was just given a Buck model 91 insert from 1991. It seams to have all parts but needs new electronics, surround, cat, paint etc... My questions start with the unit even being worth the trouble to restore and install. It requires a 8" flue and my chimney will not easily accept it. Everything else I've seen uses a 6". I like the size of the Buck's fire box. Very large and looks like it could produce much heat, but only listed at 50,000 btu. Is the large box a sign of big inefficiency? Can it run on a 6" flue liner instead of 8" or even a 7". Would like to line the chimney once. Want to maybe switch to a more efficient newer model later if this old cat just isn't what I need... Thanks for any info or advice.

The cat is huge and is around $300. Does it have the cat housing? That is $100+ in parts. The fan is going to be $140, other small parts will add up quick. You could probably get away with no surround. You NEED an 8" flue with the 91 unless you have a 25ft+ chimney, even then I would run 8", and btw it should be insulated so that takes up more room. I would list it on CL and find something newer.

I would post on the main forum about your fireplace with pics and dims and chimney height and how much sq footage you are looking to heat so we can point you in the right direction.

You need to think this through carefully.

It will need that 8" flue for it to work at its best, I believe, so if you can't make that work, then I would move on to one that is designed for 6" without hesitation.

However, you will be hard pressed to get a bigger insert, so if it fits in your fireplace/flue system, and does not require too much work, it would be a great stove. Not much electronics to it, what does it need? Paint is not expensive, just a little work. The cat is expensive, but if everything else is in good shape, is just a part of maintaining an efficient stove. Add up all the parts, then compare to a new stove, make your decision.

I am guilty of enjoying projects like this, and have bought a Blaze King that was in pretty bad shape, and fixed it up. Dealer that sold me the parts told me I was crazy, that I could buy a new stove for what I had in parts. However, he would not sell me a new stove for what I was going to have in it for some reason. Now I still don't have a new stove, but I've got one that is going to last me a good long time. A new stove was not an option at this time. As much steel as Buck puts in their stoves, the firebox should last a long time, do however keep in mind Mellows warning that the costs can add up quickly.

If a new stove is totally out of the budget, you still have some options. You could of course put it on Craigslist as is, or paint it, get the fan working, let the next owner buy the cat, list it in late summer/fall, and you will have increased the value of that beast significantly.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and keep us posted. We like photos.

The cat is huge and is around $300. Does it have the cat housing? That is $100+ in parts. The fan is going to be $140, other small parts will add up quick. You could probably get away with no surround. You NEED an 8" flue with the 91 unless you have a 25ft+ chimney, even then I would run 8", and btw it should be insulated so that takes up more room. I would list it on CL and find something newer.

I would post on the main forum about your fireplace with pics and dims and chimney height and how much sq footage you are looking to heat so we can point you in the right direction.

Thanks, I will get all my numbers together with pics. Found that the fans work, and the cat for sale at $180. Things are looking up. Chimney is 25' to bottom of box. Does that help to maybe shrink to a 7"? Got a good referral for a chimney pro to come take a look. Hard for me to be sure what will fit after removing damper assembly. Current fireplace is still intact. My first estimate was $2,500 to line chimney.

If your heat pump is over 8-9 years old you would probably be further ahead to upgrade it first.

Thanks Bob, Heat pump is 10 years old. Plan to eventually switch to gas when it dies, but need the gas run up to house from street. For now need to get a fire going this season. Wife thinks I'm crazy for all the wood I've been cutting, splitting, and stacking. Found a huge score of free oak in early spring. That and the free insert started my burning fever.

Thanks, I will get all my numbers together with pics. Found that the fans work, and the cat for sale at $180. Things are looking up. Chimney is 25' to bottom of box. Does that help to maybe shrink to a 7"? Got a good referral for a chimney pro to come take a look. Hard for me to be sure what will fit after removing damper assembly. Current fireplace is still intact. My first estimate was $2,500 to line chimney.

Thanks Bob, Heat pump is 10 years old. Plan to eventually switch to gas when it dies, but need the gas run up to house from street. For now need to get a fire going this season. Wife thinks I'm crazy for all the wood I've been cutting, splitting, and stacking. Found a huge score of free oak in early spring. That and the free insert started my burning fever.
Makes sense trying to tide over.If you do it I have a new 3 speed buck motor,may fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.