Buck Stove Intermittent Fan 27000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sain6815

Dec 28, 2016
Greer SC
image.jpg Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and just bought a house with a buck insert believed to be a 26000, 27000, or 28000.

Stove burns and drafts great but the fan is operating intermittently. I believe the thermostat is the culprit. Can anyone give me advice for things to check? I'm pretty handy with wiring and a volt meter.

I'm looking at changing to the new style thermostat with the 3 pucks for 3 speed.

Can anyone suggest a write up or guide to replacing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it has the 2 position switch. Both poles are showing voltage simultaneously. Center pole and each side show 120 volts at all times.

Maybe that is the issue?

My understanding is one side is auto and one manual. It doesn't make sense to me that both would show voltage at the same time.

It probably needs a a new fan/thermostat. Go to servicesales.com They can help you with any issues. Measure the inside of width of the insert. This usually determines the model number. There are some weird models I'm not familiar with.

While there ask about the 3 thermostat config. I think that requires a motor with 3 speed windings as well.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to milk the fan this season while it slowly dies out. I am in SC and am not dependent on this to heat my home.

The guys at servicesales quoted me around $200 to get a new fan, wiring harness, and 3 way thermometer. I'm planning on adding those things next season before it gets cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.